,
Random
Regent's Park

St George the Martyr (Borough High Street)

Waterloo suicides

Muse casket from the Esquiline treasure

Pinner

Becontree

Hawai’ian feather cape

Sandstone stele with a figure of Harihara

Egg and cress sandwiches

London bridge (part ten)

West Ruislip

Mocha shortbread biscuits

“When will they lern, Dear ol Boss?”

Date and walnut loaf

Millennium Bridge (part three)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois was known as Thayden de Bosco and held by Hugh de Bossco in 1240, but this family name seems to be of local and not French origin and is derived from the wood in Theydon. Theydon itself means, perhaps, 'a valley where thatch was obtained'.
Temple
Temple. The site of the Law Courts and London's lawyers stands on land once owned by the Knights Templars, members of a military and religious Order founded in Jerusalem in about 1118. Their task was to protect the holy places and their name derives from the place where they had their quarters, near the site of Solomon's Temple. The name Temple was also given to their quarters in London and Paris. The Pope dissolved the Order in 1312 and the buildings have been used by the legal profession from the 14th century.
Swiss Cottage

Swiss Cottage takes its name from a famous London public house. Here once stood an old toll gate keeper's cottage, then later a chalet. The Swiss Tavern was built in 1803-4, the name being changed to Swiss Cottage at a later date. The building was reconstructed in 1965. Built to the design of a Swiss cottage, it claims to be the largest pub' in London. When the railway was extended in 1868 to this part of north-west London, the name was taken for the station, and later for the district.
Sudbury Town

Sudbury Town was recorded as Suthbury in 1282 and the name is derived from south and Old English burh, ' manor' - and means 'the south manor', for it lies to the south-east of Harrow. The Town was built up during the later part of the 19th century.
Sudbury Hill

Sudbury Hill - see Sudbury Town. The Hill is the high ground to the north of Sudbury. The station was opened as SUDBURY HILL on 28 June 1903.
Stratford

Stratford was recorded in 1177 and is derived from the Old English straet, 'road' and ford - and means 'the road with a ford'. The ford was where the Roman road to Colchester crossed one of the various branches of the River Lea.
Stonebridge Park

Stonebridge Park. Where the Harrow Road crosses the River Brent stood a stone bridge, first recorded in 1745, that now gives its name to the district. It was recorded in 1875 that there was a cluster of 60 or 80 villas on a nearby estate which was given the name Stonebridge Park.
Stockwell

Stockwell was recorded as Stokewell in 1188 and can be interpreted as meaning - 'the stream with a footbridge consisting of a tree trunk', referring to a natural location, which was once nearby. Derived from Old English - stock (trunk) and wella (stream), Stockwell was a small rural village until the 1860s.

Stepney Green

Stepney Green. Stepney was recorded as Stybbanhype c.1000 and as Stibenhede in the Domesday Book and the name is derived from the Saxon personal name Stebbing and Old English hyo, hith' or landing place'. It has had various spellings in the course of time until recorded as Stepney in 1534. The Green is now a street and was the home of John atte Grene.
Stanmore

Stanmore was recorded Stanmere in the Domesday Book and is derived from the Old English stan, 'stony' and mere, a pool'. There are outcrops of gravel on the clay soil here and the mere may have been one of the ponds which still exist. Known as Stanmore the Great in 1574 - 'the Great' distinguished it from Whitchurch or Little Stanmore.