,
Random
Regent's Park

St George the Martyr (Borough High Street)

Waterloo suicides

Muse casket from the Esquiline treasure

Pinner

Becontree

Hawai’ian feather cape

Sandstone stele with a figure of Harihara

Egg and cress sandwiches

London bridge (part ten)

West Ruislip

Mocha shortbread biscuits

“When will they lern, Dear ol Boss?”

Date and walnut loaf

Millennium Bridge (part three)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Upminster
Upminster was recorded as Upmynstre in 1062 and the name is derived from mynster, which refers to a church served by several clergy, rather than to a monastery. The prefix up means 'higher ground', although the town does not rise much above sixty feet. Upminster means - 'the church on high land'. The name of this area was originally Chafford, a corruption of St Chad's Ford and tradition asks us to believe that the brothers St Chad and St Cedd used it as one of their preaching centres when they brought Christianity to Essex in c.670.
Turnpike Lane

Turnpike Lane once belonged to the 'Stamford Hill and Green Lanes Turnpike Trust' and a turnpike gate was erected in 1767 at the Hornsey Lane (now Tottenham Lane) end of the road; it was removed in the 1870s. A 'Turnpike' was a gate set across a road to stop those who were liable to pay a toll. Originally this was a frame consisting of two crossbars armed with pikes and turning on a post - hence the name.
Turnham Green

Turnham Green was recorded as Turneham in c.1229 and was once a hamlet on the Great West Road. The name is derived from the Old English turn, 'circular' and hamm, 'a water meadow' -and means literally 'the bend at the river' referring to the nearby River Thames. The Green was first recorded in 1396 where Christ Church now stands. Incidentally, it was here, during the Civil War, that King Charles's troops were checked by the rebel Parliament's Trained Bands of Londoners.
Tufnell Park

Tufnell Park was named in honour of William Tufnell who held the manor of Barnsbury in 1753. Tufnell Park Road runs to the east of the station, but there is no park in the area.
Tower Hill

Tower Hill was recorded as Tourhulle in 1343 and takes its name from the nearby Tower of London, notorious in history as the place of public execution of the traitors taken here from the Tower. 125 people are known to have died here between 1381-1745 and a slab in nearby Trinity Square Gardens marks the scaffold site. At the foot of Tower Hill stands a new kiosk to that which from 1870-96 was the entrance to London's first tube tunnel under the Thames.
Totteridge & Whetstone

Totteridge & Whetstone. Totteridge was recorded as Taterugg in 1248 and is derived from the personal name of a Saxon Totta and a ridge of a hill where he lived - and thus means 'Totta's ridge'. Whetstone was recorded as Wheston in 1417 and means 'the stone quarry'. Tradition holds that there was once a large stone here on which the soldiers sharpened their steel before the battle of Barnet in 1471.
Tottenham Hale

Tottenham Hale. Tottenham was recorded as Toteham in the Domesday Book and the name is derived from the personal name of the Saxon Totta and Old English ham, 'a homestead' - the home of Totta' and his family who once lived on a site here. Hale is derived from the Old English healh, a corner of land'. It was recorded as le Hale in 1502 and was the home of Richard atte Hale in 1274.
Tottenham Court Road

Tottenham Court Road was recorded as Tottenheale c.1000 and is derived from the personal name of William de Tottenhall's land and manor which, at the time of the Norman Conquest, belonged to the Deanery of St. Paul's Cathedral. A later name was Toten Hall which lay at the north-west corner of the present road. There was an ancient court here, much of which was demolished in 1765 to make way for the Euston Road. By the 17th century the place had become a tea garden and public amusement centre. During the early 19th century the road was built up when Bloomsbury to the east was being developed, although much was reconstructed in the early 1900s.
Tooting Broadway

Tooting Broadway - see Tooting Bee. The Broadway, once a large open space, is now a small triangular area near the station.
Tooting Beс

Tooting Beс. Tooting was recorded as Totinge in 675 and Totinge in the Domesday Book. From с. 1082 it comprised two manors - that of Upper Tooting and Tooting Bec, held in 1086 by the Abbey of St Mary of Beс in Normandy and Tooting Beс is so named. Tooting is derived from a personal name of the Saxon Tota and the Old English place name word ending ing, literally 'the people who lived at' - Tooting, therefore means - 'the home of Tota's people'.