,
Random
The antique dealer Captain Bob

White City

Tower bridge (part one)

Chorleywood

Head from a statue of the Buddha

Aldgate

Lambeth North

Piccadilly Circus

Seal-die of Robert Fitzwalter

How the Museum was Made

Eclectic avenue

Fulham Broadway

Archway

Jade bi

Design and construction

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Warwick Avenue

Warwick Avenue. Many of the streets in the old manor of Paddington are connected with families who leased land from the Bishop of London. The original lessee was Sir John Frederick of Burwood in Surrey. His great-grandson married Jane Warwick of Warwick Hall in Cumberland in 1778 and the street is named in her honour.
Warren Street

Warren Street. The estate in this area was owned by Charles Fitzroy, created Baron Southampton in 1780, who married Anne, the daughter of Sir Peter Warren. When the street was named in 1799 it was called Warren Street in her honour.
Wanstead

Wanstead was recorded as Waenstede in 1066 and the name is derived from the Old English waen, 'waggon' and stede, 'place'. It seems that there was once a ford here, where waggons crossed a stream, and' stede' usually meant a holy place - therefore Wanstead means 'to the holy place, near the ford crossed by waggons'.
Walthamstow Central

Walthamstow Central was recorded as Wilcumestowe c.1075 and the name may be derived from the Old English wilcume, 'welcome' and stow, 'a holy place' - 'the holy place with a welcome'. Alternatively the name may derive from a religious place once founded here by a woman named Wilcume. It was recorded as Walthanstowe in 1446.
Victoria

Victoria. Like many other places the station was named in honour of Queen Victoria. The main-line station, opened on 1 October 1860, stands on piles over the basin of the former Grosvenor Canal.
Vauxhall

Vauxhall is named from the Norman Falkes de Breaute who obtained the manor of Lambeth by his marriage to the heiress Margaret de Riparus (or Redvers) in с. 1220, the manor being granted to him in 1233. Recorded as Faukeshale in 1279, corrupted to Fox Hall then eventually to Vauxhall.
Uxbridge

Uxbridge was recorded as Oxebruge c.1145 and the name is derived from a 7th century tribe, the Wixan, who settled here, and in the course of time this has been abbreviated to Ux. The bridge is an ancient one over the river Colne and has variant spellings until recorded as Uxbridge in 1398.
Upton Park

Upton Park. Upton is derived from up and Old English tun - a farm - and means 'the farm, or homestead on higher ground' once in a park, and the district is so named.
Upney


Upney simply means the upper-stream and this local natural feature gives the name to this district. Derived from Old English upp (higher up) and ey (stream).
Upminster Bridge

Upminster Bridge - see Upminster. To the right of the station, under the railway bridge and near the 'Bridge House' pub, there is a small iron road bridge, marked Upminster Bridge. Tradition has it that the Romans built a ford here over the River Ingrebourne during Caesar's invasion of England.