,
Random
Regent's Park

St George the Martyr (Borough High Street)

Waterloo suicides

Muse casket from the Esquiline treasure

Pinner

Becontree

Hawai’ian feather cape

Sandstone stele with a figure of Harihara

Egg and cress sandwiches

London bridge (part ten)

West Ruislip

Mocha shortbread biscuits

“When will they lern, Dear ol Boss?”

Date and walnut loaf

Millennium Bridge (part three)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Bow Church

Bow Church - see Bow Road Underground. To the right of the station, in the main Bow Road, there is a traffic island on which stands Bow Church. Its full name is Saint Mary Bow Church', the site of which has been a place of worship since the 14th century.
Blackwall


Blackwall appears in records as Blackvale as early as 1337, and sometimes as Bleak wall, possibly from Old English blaee and maybe refers to a windy stretch of the River Thames.
Beckton Park


Beckton Park - see Beckton. To the north of the station are the two parks which the station is named after - South Beckton District Park' and New Beckton Park'.
Beckton

Beckton was named in 1869 in honour of a Mr. S.A. Beck, the then Governor of the local Gas Light &Coke Company.
Bank


Bank - see Bank Underground. The DLR station was opened on 29 July 1991.
All Saints

All Saints is the name of the nearby church which was designed by Charles Hollis and was consecrated in 1823. Until 1817 this was the name of one of parishes of London.
Woodside Park

Woodside Park was recorded as Fyncheley Wode in 1468 and was part of the great Middlesex woodland area. It was named Woodside in 1686 - being at the side of the wood.
Wood Lane

Wood Lane. There have been three stations in the area with this name, the latest being a new station on the Hammersmith & City line. The other two were a station on the same line situated across the road from the present one, closer to Shepherd's Bush, opened 1 May 1908 and closed 25 October 1959 (by which time it had been renamed White City) and a terminal station on the Central London Railway opened 14 May 1908 and closed 23 November 1947 (to be replaced by the Central Line station named White City further to the north).
Wood Green

Wood Green was recorded as Wodegrene in 1502 and was once a separate hamlet on the edge of Enfield Chase. As the name suggests it means 'the wood by the green'. Prior to the station's opening the name LORDSHIP LANE was proposed, but it was opened as WOOD GREEN on 19 September 1932.
Woodford

Woodford, as the name suggests, means 'the ford by a wood', over the River Roding which runs through the district. The station was opened as WOODFORD by the Eastern Counties Railway on 22 August 1856 and first used by Underground trains on 14 December 1947.