,
Random
Chocolate and orange marble cake

The Sovereign's Birthday Parade

Kenton

The Second World War

Barking

Tughra of Suleyman the Magnificent

Kennington

Highgate

Relief panel from the Harpy Tomb

Caffeine in Tea

St Bartholomew the Great (West Smithfield)

Rulers

Bronze hoplite helmet

Elgin amphora

Introduction (part two)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Archway

In 1813 the Archway Road was constructed to avoid the slope up to Highgate Hill. The viaduct was designed by Sir Alexander Binnie and built in 1897 over the road in place of the former Highgate Archway which was a short tunnel. The district is, therefore, known as Archway. Railings, seven feet high, were erected on the viaduct to discourage the many suicides that took place here, but the view is still spectacular.
Angel

This district and road junction at the end of City Road takes its name from a once famous coaching inn that dates from at least 1638.
Amersham

Amersham was recorded as Agmondesham in 1066 and the name is derived from the original wording Ealgmundsham, being the personal name of the Saxon Ealgmund, and Old English ham, a homestead' - 'the home of Ealgmund' and his family who once lived on a site here. Changed to Amersham с. 1675.
Alperton

Alperton originally Ealhberhington, was recorded as Alprinton in the 12th century and the name is derived from the personal name of the Saxon Ealhbeart and Old English tun, 'a farm' - means 'the farm of Ealhbeart' and his family who once lived on a site here. It is sometimes recorded that Alperton is derived from 'apple farm', but this can be discounted. The name changed to Alperton in the course of time.
Aldgate

Aldgate is named after the gate which once spanned the road between Dukes Place and Jewry Street. The original gate was built by the Saxons and the name is derived from Aelgate - meaning 'open to all' a free gate. It has also been interpreted as the old-gate but this is probably incorrect. Aldgate was one of the original four gates in the City Wall, rebuilt in 1609 but demolished in 1761.


Acton Town

Acton Town was recorded as Acton (e) in 1181 and the name is derived from the Old English ac, 'oak' and tun, 'a farm' - meaning 'the farm by the oak tree(s)'. There was a busy little village in this area from the 16th century onwards developing into the town of Acton. It has been known as Church Acton to distinguish it from East Acton, formerly a separate hamlet.