,
Random
Regent's Park

St George the Martyr (Borough High Street)

Waterloo suicides

Muse casket from the Esquiline treasure

Pinner

Becontree

Hawai’ian feather cape

Sandstone stele with a figure of Harihara

Egg and cress sandwiches

London bridge (part ten)

West Ruislip

Mocha shortbread biscuits

“When will they lern, Dear ol Boss?”

Date and walnut loaf

Millennium Bridge (part three)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Greenwich

Greenwich - see North Greenwich Underground. The station was opened on 20 November 1999. It is adjacent to the original terminus of the London & Greenwich Railway.
Gallions Reach

Gallions Reach takes its name from a former hotel built in this area in 1803 for the use of passengers embarking from the adjacent jetty. The word Reach' means a straight portion of a river (the nearby River Thames).
Elverson Road

Elverson Road. Little is known about how this road obtained its name; one must presume that it was named after a local landowner when the road was built between 1875 and 1893.
East India

East India takes its name from the East India Company' founded as early as 1600. The company obtained an Act of Parliament in 1803 for the docks to be built, which were ready for use in 1806. As the name suggests the Company traded on the routes to India and the Far East and the 'Cutty Sark' was one of the original clippers.
Devons Road

Devons Road was known as Bromley Lane c.1790 and it seems that it was named after a Thomas Devon who once owned land in this area or maybe one of his ancestors, for his household was listed at one time in the local poor rate' records.
Deptford Bridge

Deptford Bridge. Deptford was recorded as Depeford in 1293 and the name is self explanatory from the Old English deop and ford - means 'the Deep ford', from the location of the land. The bridge crosses the Ravensbourne River and maybe the Romans built a bridge here, which was later destroyed by the Danes. A wooden bridge was built here in the 14th century and was replaced by a stone bridge in 1809.
Cyprus


Cyprus. This small area to the north side of the Royal Albert Dock takes its name from the island of Cyprus, for the original owners traded mainly with this island at the eastern end of the Mediterranean Sea.
Cutty Sark

Cutty Sark is the name, of course, of the famous sailing ship, now preserved near the station in dry dock. This is one of the few surviving tea clippers of the nineteenth century. Built at Dumbarton, Scotland (in 1869) she was engaged on the China tea trade. Later, on the Australian grain run, she achieved a new sailing record of 73 days for the London-Sydney passage.
Custom House


Custom House takes its name from the building which once stood at the north side of the Victoria Docks and today still gives its name to a district in this part of London. The area was developed as a working class residential working district from the 1880s onwards.
Crossharbour

Crossharbour is a new development which was placed at the crossing of Glengall Grove. The name is appropriate for it is in the centre of the Isle of Dogs.