,
Random
Epping

Qingbai wine ewer and basin

Gold pectoral

Goldhawk Road

St Margaret’s Church

Hawai’ian feather cape

South Wimbledon

The Portobello menu

Northfields

Croxley

Eclairs with fresh cream and raspberries

Limestone door ос

Newbury Park

High Barnet

Woodside Park

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Bayswater

Bayswater was recorded as Bayard's Watering in 1380 and has had many variant spellings before being named as Bay(e)swater by 1659. The original Bayard's Watering was the place where the Westbourne Stream crossed the Oxford Road (now Bayswater Road) and is possibly derived from the Bayard family who once lived in this area.
Barons Court

Barons Court. Unlike Earl's Court this name has no connection with the law, or the nobility, but was so named after an estate that extends from the District Line to Perham Road to the south. The estate was planned by Sir William Palliser and built at the end of the 19th century.
Barkingsid

Barkingside was so named in 1538 being on the extreme edge of the old parish of Barking. The word side is associated with a slope or hill especially one extending for a considerable distance, which was no doubt the case during the 16th century.
Barking

Barking was recorded as Berecingum in 735 and is probably named from the Saxon people the Bercia and the Old English place name word ending ing, literally 'the people who lived at'. Barking, we can deduce, means - 'the home of the Bercias'. The area was divided into various manors during the Middle Ages, one being Berengers, a variation on the original name. It is also possible that the name can be interpreted as 'the dwellers among the birch trees' and, maybe, this referred to the Bercias.
Barbican

Barbican was called barbicana when a Roman Tower once stood just north of the street that now bears this name. Barbicana is Latin in origin and, in its turn, is probably from the Persian wording meaning 'upper chamber'. The Saxons named the tower burgh kennin - meaning 'town watchtower', on which for many centuries fires were lit to guide travellers to their destinations across London. It seems the tower was pulled down in 1267 on the orders of Henry III but it was then rebuilt in 1336 on the orders of Edward III. The date when the tower was finally demolished is uncertain but it is known there was a house on the site in 1720.
Bank

Bank takes its name from the Bank of England which was estab¬lished in 1694 based on the proposals of William Paterson, a Scotsman. From 1694-1724 the business of the Bank was carried on at Mercers' Hall, and then at Grocers' Hall. In 1724 a site in Threadneedle Street was purchased; the building was erected in 1732-4 and rebuilt in 1940.
Balham

Balham was known as Baelenham in 957 and later as Bealganhamm being derived from the personal name of the Saxon Bealga, and Old English ham, a' homestead'. It means ' the home of Bealga' and his family who once lived on a site here. It was recorded as Balgaham in c. 1115.
Baker Street

Baker Street was completed in 1799 and was named after either Sir Edward Baker of Ranston in Dorset who was the owner of an estate in the area, or more probably, William Baker who devel-oped an estate after purchasing land from William Portman (who owned the whole area) in the eighteenth century. The street is, of course, associated with the famous fictional detec¬tive Sherlock Holmes 'who had rooms at 221 b Baker Street'.
Arsenal

Arsenal takes its name from the famous Arsenal Football Club which moved here in 1913 from Woolwich where it had been founded at the Royal Arsenal Factory in 1884 - hence the nickname for the team: The Gunners.


Arnos Grove

Arnos Grove was recorded as Arnold(e)s Grove in 1551 and it seems that the name should be associated with the 14th- century family of Margery Arnold who once lived in this area. The Grove itself runs to the north of the nearby Arnos Park.