,
Random
Epping

Qingbai wine ewer and basin

Gold pectoral

Goldhawk Road

St Margaret’s Church

Hawai’ian feather cape

South Wimbledon

The Portobello menu

Northfields

Croxley

Eclairs with fresh cream and raspberries

Limestone door ос

Newbury Park

High Barnet

Woodside Park

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Bounds Green

Bounds Green is a district of North London whose name is derived from its association with the families of John le Bonde in 1294 and Walter le Bounde during the 13th century and being recorded as le Boundes in 1365. Bounds Green is the modern version of the name. Nothing is left of the Green, the area now occupied by the Bounds Green Road.
Boston Manor

Boston Manor. This Boston has no connection with its more famous namesakes in Lincolnshire or the USA. Known during the 14th century as Bordeston from Bords (a personal name) and Old English tun, 'a farm - means 'Bords farm', which in its turn has been corrupted to Burston, then Boston during the 16th century. The Manor originally belonged to the convent of St Helen’s Bishopsgate and its ownership has changed hands many times during the course of history. Boston Manor is noted for its Tudor and Jacobean Mansion - 'Boston House'.
Borough

Borough. This district is part of ancient London, for here the Romans founded a settlement and built a 'high street' as an approach road to London Bridge. The Borough is a small part of Southwark and although the word borough means 'a fortified place' (Old English burh) the word now has another definition. It also refers to a town with its own local government, for in the late Middle Ages this was the only London Borough both outside the City Wall and sending its own Member to Parliament. It has kept its name ever since.

Bond Street

Bond Street was laid out in 1686 to designs by Sir Thomas Bond, Comptroller of the Household of Queen Henrietta Maria (The Queen Mother), and is named after him, although he died in 1685. The street is now renowned for its fashionable shops and picture dealers' galleries. The south portion of the street is known as Old Bond Street, being re-named in 1734, while the north portion running to Oxford Street is known as New Bond Street, named in 1732.
Blackhorse Road

Blackhorse Road was recorded as Black House Lane in 1848 which is the correct spelling, for the road takes its name from an old Black House, being on the site of an old Clock House. Changed to Blackhorse Lane (then road) at a later date, this change has some connection with the east London dialect.
Blackfriars

Blackfriars. This area takes its name from the colour of the habits worn by the friars of a Dominican monastery who were known as the Black Friars. The monastery was established during the 13th century by the Earl of Kent, but was closed on the orders of Henry VIII in 1538. Part of the building later became the Blackfriars Theatre which was pulled down in 1665.
Bethnal Green

Bethnal Green. Blithehale was the recorded name for this district during the 13th century. The second element hale means - 'an angle or corner of land'. Maybe Blithe is a corruption of the personal name Blida, a family who resided here in the reign of Edward I (1272-1307), or perhaps refers to an ancient stream of this area called Bythe. The “village green at Bathon's river meadow” could be the complete meaning of the name.
Bermondsey

Bermondsey was recorded as Vermudesi c.712 and as Bermundesy in the Domesday Book and the name is derived from the Saxon lord of the district Beormund and his family who lived here and the Old English Eg - 'an island' (or marsh) - 'Beormunds island'. The name changed to its present spelling over time.
Belsize Park

Belsize Park was recorded as Balassis in 1317 from the Old French wording bel asis, which means 'beautifully situated', and was no doubt aptly named from the manor house and park which were once on the present site of Belsize Square. No fewer than ten streets in this part of North West London include Belsize in their name.
Becontree

Becontree is thought to take its name from a local natural feature although associated with the Saxon people the Beohha who had an encampment by a distinctive tree, which was probably a boundary mark. It was recorded as Beuentreu in Domesday Book. It is possible, however, that the name is from Old English, beacen-treo(w), beacon tree' being an old meeting place.