,
Random
Epping

Qingbai wine ewer and basin

Gold pectoral

Goldhawk Road

St Margaret’s Church

Hawai’ian feather cape

South Wimbledon

The Portobello menu

Northfields

Croxley

Eclairs with fresh cream and raspberries

Limestone door ос

Newbury Park

High Barnet

Woodside Park

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Canning Town

Canning Town is the industrial and residential district built up during the 1850s to house the labourers working in the nearby Victoria Docks. It has been suggested that the town is named in honour of Lord Canning (a former Governor General of India) but this can be discounted. In fact the town takes its name from an industrial firm which was once centred in this area.
Canada Water

Canada Water is a new development in this area and it takes its name from the original Canada Docks which were built in 1876.
Camden Town

Camden Town. This area of North West London was built c.1791, and was once a manor belonging to St Paul's Cathedral. The manor was obtained, by marriage, in 1795 by Charles Pratt, Earl of Camden, of Camden Place in Kent, and is so named. The Earl allowed his land to be leased for building houses, so in the course of time Camden Town came into use.
Caledonian Road

Caledonian Road was constructed c.1826 and is named from the Caledonian Asylum for Scottish children established on a site nearby in 1815. The road was referred to as the ' New Road from Battle Bridge to Holloway' in 1841.
Burnt Oak

Burnt Oak. Tradition has it that the Romans had a site near here which they used as a boundary mark where fires were lit as a guide - so a burnt oak.
Buckhurst Hill

Buckhurst Hill, as the name suggests, takes its name from a local natural feature, recorded as Bocherst(e) in 1135 from the Old English beech (tree) and hyrst, 'a copse' or 'wood' - later to be called Buckhurst. The area has also been called Goldhurst, the gold' referring no doubt to the colour of the trees in the wood. The Hill refers to another nearby feature.
Bromley-by-Bow

Bromley-by-Bow. Bromley was recorded as Braembelege in 1000, Brambeley in 1128 and is derived from the Old English broom (tree) and leah, “a forest”. See Bow Road for origin of the second part of the name.
Brixton

Brixton is recorded as brixges stane in 1062, and as Brixistan in the Domesday Book. The name is derived from the personal name of the Saxon Beorhtric and the Old English stane, 'stone'. Stones were often used as meeting points. The name changed to Brixton in the course of time.
Brent Cross

Brent Cross takes its name from the nearby river that joins the Thames at Brentford and was recorded as Braegente in 959. In its turn the river-name is derived from the hypothetical Old English Brigantica, probably meaning the holy or high river and as the river flows mostly through low country the former is most likely. The name became Brent(e) by the 13th century.
Bow Road

Bow Road. This main road is so called from an arched ('bow') bridge built over the River Lea in the 12th century; or from the bow (or bend) in the road to the east of the station, which can still be seen just to the west of the modern fly-over.