,
Random
Epping

Qingbai wine ewer and basin

Gold pectoral

Goldhawk Road

St Margaret’s Church

Hawai’ian feather cape

South Wimbledon

The Portobello menu

Northfields

Croxley

Eclairs with fresh cream and raspberries

Limestone door ос

Newbury Park

High Barnet

Woodside Park

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Chorleywood

Chorleywood. The Old English word for a free peasant lower than the rank of nobleman was ceorl and these people once had an encampment on a site near here. Recorded as Charlewoode in 1524 although the name is of an earlier origin and is derived from the Old English ceorl (the group name of the people) and leah, 'a wood' - 'the wood or clearing of the free peasants' and known as Chorley Wood by 1730.
Chiswick Park

Chiswick Park. Recorded as Ceswican с. 1000, Chiswick has had various spellings throughout time, and is thought to derive from the Old English cese, 'cheese' and wic, 'farm'. Although there are parks nearby the station, they are not connected with the original park.
Chigwell

Chigwell was recorded as Cingheuuella in the Domesday Book and may be is associated with a Saxon named Cicea. But the name is probably derived from Old English ceaege, 'gorse' and weg, 'well' - 'the well within the shingle'. The name has changed in the course of time to Chigwell.
Chesham

Chesham had an early association with the Old English word ceaster - signifying 'a Roman town and fortification'. Recorded during the 10th century as Caesteshamm from the Old English ceastel, literally 'a heap of stones', and hamm, a ’water meadow' - meaning 'a boundary mark by a spring'. In the course of time the name has changed to Chesham, and nearby is the river Chess.
Charing Cross


Charing Cross. By tradition, it is said that Edward I in 1291 set up a stone cross near what is now the courtyard of the main-line station to mark the last resting place of the funeral cortege of his Queen Eleanor as it passed from Harby to Westminster - hence the Cross part of the name which was recorded as the stone cross of Cherryngge during the 14th century. There was a little village here named Cyrringe c.1000 and the name is derived from the Old English cierring, 'turning' or 'to turn', probably referring to the bend in the river Thames nearby. Charing Cross Road was built in the 1880s.
Chancery Lane
Chancery Lane was constructed by the Knights Templars c.1160 and has a long history with many changes of name. It was recorded as Newstrate (New Street) in the early part of the 13th century. During the reign of Henry III (1216-72) a house was erected on the eastern side of the lane for the conversion of Jews to the Christian faith. The house became famous and Newstrate became Convers Lane. Towards the end of the 13th century, Edward I banished the Jews from the country and the house was used by the Keeper of the Rolls', where the official records of the Inns of Chancery were kept and once again the name of the street was changed to Chancellor's Lane and was recorded as this in 1320.
Chalk Farm

Chalk Farm. It has been suggested this is a corruption of the wording Chalcot Farm but there is no evidence that a farm ever existed in this area. Recorded as Chaldecot(e) in 1253, it is stated that this name is derived from cold cottages, referring to the slopes of nearby Haverstock Hill which were bleak and exposed in the early days of settlement in this area. It seems that there was also a place of shelter here for travellers to London.
Chalfont & Latimer

Chalfont & Latimer. Chalfont was recorded as Ceadeles funta in 949 from the personal name of a Saxon, Ceadel, and Old Welsh funta, 'a spring or stream' - "Ceadel's home near a spring'. Latimer is also derived from a personal name, recorded as Yselhamstede in 1220 and Isenhampstede Latyer in 1389, from William Latymer, who obtained the manor on this site in 1330; the name was over time shortened to Latimer.
Canons Park

Canons Park. Six acres of this area were granted to the Prior of the St Augustinian canons of St Bartholomew's, Smithfield, in 1331 and were recorded as Canons during the 16th century. Canons Park later became the property of the Duke of Chandos and on the estate was built the Duke's magnificent mansion (also named 'Canons') which was demolished after its sale by the Duke's heir in 1747, being broken up and sold by lots at auction.
Cannon Street

Cannon Street has no connection with guns or even billiards as the name might suggest, for the candle-makers and wick-chandlers who made their wares for the Church lived here in the late Middle Ages. It was first mentioned in the records of c.1180 as Candelwichstrete (from Candle and Old English wic, 'a dwelling'). Through a series of name-shortenings and the Cockney dialect the name was contracted to Cannon Street by the mid-17th century and this modern form was noted by Pepys in his famous diary in 1667. On the site of the present mainline station was once the Steelyard, a store to which members of the German Hanseatic League once brought their goods for sale.