,
Random
Epping

Qingbai wine ewer and basin

Gold pectoral

Goldhawk Road

St Margaret’s Church

Hawai’ian feather cape

South Wimbledon

The Portobello menu

Northfields

Croxley

Eclairs with fresh cream and raspberries

Limestone door ос

Newbury Park

High Barnet

Woodside Park

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Debden

Debden takes its name from a natural location of the area and is recorded as Deppendana in the Domesday Book. It is derived from the Old English deb, 'deep' and den, 'valley' - which means simply 'the deep valley'. It was recorded as Depeden in 1227.The station was opened by the Great Eastern Railway as CHIGWELL ROAD on 24 April 1865, and re-named CHIGWELL LANE on 1 December 1865.
Dagenham Heathway

Dagenham Heathway - see Dagenham East. The Heathway as the name suggests takes its name from the road that runs to the north, through Dagenham to Becontree Heath.
Dagenham East

Dagenham East. The name Dagenham was originally recorded as Daccanhamm in 692 and is derived from the personal name of the Saxon Daecca and the Old English ham, 'a homestead' and means 'the home of Decca' and his family that once lived on a site here. It was recorded as Dakenham in 1254.
Croxley

Croxley. The name is derived from the Old English crocs, 'a clearing' and leah, 'a forest' - means 'the clearing in the forest'. It was recorded as Crokesleya in 1166 with variant spellings until 1750 when it was known as Crosley (Green).
Covent Garden

Covent Garden was originally the walled enclosure and garden belonging to the monks of Westminster Abbey, recorded in 1491 as Convent Garden (from Old French couvent), which stretched from Long Acre to the Strand. After the dissolution of the monasteries the site was claimed by the Crown and sold to the 1st Earl of Bedford in 1552 who had a house built here, while the 4th Earl had the area laid out as a residential quarter. Covent Garden was famous for its fruit market established in 1661, now moved to a site at Vauxhall in south London, and for its Royal Opera House, the third and present one on this site being built in 1858.
Colindale

Colindale was recorded as Collyndene in 1550. Collins Deepe in 1710 and probably should be associated with the family of a John Collin who once lived here. The 'Deep' must refer to the valley of the nearby Silk Stream (later changed to Dale, from the Old English dael, 'a valley'). Colindale, therefore, means 'the home of the Collins Family in the valley'.
Cockfosters

Cockfosters. This district of north London was recorded as Cockfosters in 1524 and although the origin of the name is uncertain, it is possible that it is derived from either the personal name of a family that once lived here, or a house recorded in 1613 on the edge of Enfield Chase and called Cockfosters. It is suggested that this was the residence of the chief forester (or cock forester), hence this rather unusual name which, until the arrival of the tube, was sometimes spelt as two words.
Clapham South

Clapham South - see Clapham Common. The name of NIGHTINGALE LANE was chosen first, but the station opened as CLAPHAM SOUTH on 13 September 1926.
Clapham North

Clapham North - see Clapham Common. The station was opened as CLAPHAM ROAD on 3 June 1900 and re-named CLAPHAM NORTH 13 September 1926.
Clapham Common

Clapham Common. There was an ancient village on the site of the present Clapham, recorded as Cloppaham c.880 and as Clopeham in the Domesday Book. The name is derived from the Old English clap, 'a hill' and ham, 'home' - this wording for hill usually refers to one on stubby ground. The Common was called Clapham Common in 1718 and the meaning of the word is a track of open land used in common by the inhabitants of the town.