,
Random
Alabaster ‘eye idol’

Blackfriars Railway Bridge

Lambeth bridge (part two)

St Paul's Church (Diamond Way, off Deptford High Street)

Diorite statue, probably of Gudea of Lagash

The Coldstream Guards

Macadamia and white chocolate brownies

Pieter van der Heyden (1538-72), Big Fish Eat Little Fish

Charles Daggett's top ten tips on getting your artwork cleaned up

Chalk Farm

Astronomical compendium

Strangford Apollo

Old Street

Animals

White City

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
East Putney

East Putney - see Putney Bridge. The station was opened as EAST PUTNEY by the London & South Western Railway on 3 June 1889 and was served by District Line trains from that date.
Putney Bridge

Putney Bridge was recorded as Putelei in the Domesday Book and the name is derived from the Saxon personal name Puttan and Old English hyp, 'a landing place' - 'Puttan's wharf. This was one of many such landing places on the River Thames. The original wooden bridge was erected in 1729 and replaced by the present stone bridge in 1884-86. It was widened in 1933.
East Ham

East Ham was recorded as Hamme in 958 which signifies that this and West Ham comprised one single geographical location and not until 1206 was the name Eastham recorded. The name is derived from the Old English hamm, 'a water meadow' - refer¬ring to the low-lying riverside meadow near the bend of the Thames. (See also West Ham.)
East Finchley

East Finchley - see Finchley Central. The station was opened as EAST FINCHLEY on 22 August 1867 and was first used by Underground trains on 3 July 1939.
Eastcote

Eastcote was known as Estcotte during the 13th century and the name is only slightly changed in the course of time. The name is derived from the Old English cote, cottage' or shelter' and means 'the cottage(s) to the east', literally the hamlet to the east of Ruislip, for there was once a Westcott also.
East Acton

East Acton - see Acton Town for meaning of name. East Acton was formerly a separate hamlet from Acton and was recorded as Estacton in 1294.
Earl's Court

Earl's Court. After the Conquest the De Vere family were granted the Manor of Kensington which at one time had a court house. Later the head of the family was created Earl of Oxford, hence the name Earl's Court.
Ealing Common

Ealing Common - see Ealing Broadway. The Common lies to the south of the station - see under Clapham Common for meaning of 'common'.
Ealing Broadway

Ealing Broadway. Gillingas was recorded for this area c.698 and is derived from the Saxon people the Gilla and the Old English place name word ending, ing, literally, 'the people who lived at'. It has had many changes of spelling - Ilingis c.1127, then Yealing to Ealing in 1622. The Broadway is the main road beside the station.
Dollis Hill

Dollis Hill was recorded as Daleson Hill in 1593 and later as Dolly's Hill, but the name origin is unknown; possibly it is taken from a nearby manor that was once here. Dollis Hill Lane, the main road, climbs the Hill at this point.