,
Random
Alabaster ‘eye idol’

Blackfriars Railway Bridge

Lambeth bridge (part two)

St Paul's Church (Diamond Way, off Deptford High Street)

Diorite statue, probably of Gudea of Lagash

The Coldstream Guards

Macadamia and white chocolate brownies

Pieter van der Heyden (1538-72), Big Fish Eat Little Fish

Charles Daggett's top ten tips on getting your artwork cleaned up

Chalk Farm

Astronomical compendium

Strangford Apollo

Old Street

Animals

White City

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Farringdon
Farringdon. This part of central London takes its name from Farringdon Street. In 1279 the City merchant William de Farindon of the Goldsmiths' Company purchased the 'ward' of this area and became an Alderman of it two years later; the street was named in his honour. The street was built in 1738 upon arches, above the old River Fleet which is now a sewer.
Fairlop

Fairlop. A legend surrounds the name of Fairlop. In the early part of the 19th century there was a fine oak tree here, which sheltered a long-established fair founded by a certain Daniel Day. When Day died in 1767 his friends, after much consideration, decided to make his coffin from the tree and as the tree continued to flourish, they agreed that they had made a fair lop. A little fanciful perhaps, but the name is derived from fair and the Modern English lop 'a small branch or twig' - and means 'the beautiful trees with their leafy branches' which stood nearby.
Euston Square

Euston Square was laid out in 1805 and, like Euston, takes its name from the seat of the Duke of Grafton. The station is on the site of a farm which existed as late as 1830.
Euston

Euston takes its name from the main-line station, opened on 20 July 1837, which was adjacent to Euston Grove and Euston Square on the estate held by the Duke of Grafton, whose seat was at Euston Hall, Suffolk.
Epping

Epping was recorded as Eppinges in the Domesday Book from the people known as the Yippinga, derived from the Old English yppe, 'a raised place' and the ing word ending (literally 'the people who lived here') and means The people who live on the uplands', referring also to a look-out post they had here. It was recorded as Upping in 1227, then Epping.
Embankment

Embankment. The Embankment is the roadway by the River Thames. In 1863 an Act of Parliament was passed for the building of the embankments and work started immediately on the new Victoria Embankment between Westminster and the Temple. It was completed and opened to the public in 1870.
Elm Park

Elm Park, as the name suggests, takes its name from natural local woodland and was perhaps a meeting place of the local inhabitants long ago. The station was opened as ELM PARK on 13 May 1935.
Elephant & Castle

Elephant & Castle is named after an old tavern which was originally on the site of a 16th-century playhouse, 'the Newington Theatre', which staged many of Shakespeare's plays. Later converted into a tavern and, during the 18th century, to a posting house and inn, being rebuilt in 1816 and again in 1898. The tavern had a gilt model of an elephant and castle on its frontage, which was preserved when the building was demolished in 1959, and is now displayed in the nearby shopping centre.
Edgware Road

Edgware Road was once part of the Roman road called Watling Street that ran from Dover through London to St Albans. During the 18th century the road became Edgware Road, being the direct route from Marble Arch to Edgware, which lies to the north west. Until the early 1900s it was often spelt Edgeware.
Edgware

Edgware was recorded Aegces Wer in 972-8 and Eggeswera later and is derived from the personal name of a Saxon Ecgis and weir - means very simply, 'Ecgis', fishing pool from a local stretch of water. From an early set of boundaries the precise position of the fishing pool can be ascertained; it is where Watling Street (now Edgware Road) crosses the Edgware Brook.