,
Random
Jack the Ripper walk (part four)

Twickenham bridge

Cutty Sark

Temple Church

St Mary-at-Lambeth

Ivory salt cellar

Introduction (part four)

Ickenham

Waterloo bridge (part two)

Franks casket

Commemorative head of Queen Idia

Tea cakes

Southwark Cathedral (part one)

Wooden bodhisattva mask

Swimming reindeer carved from the tip of a mammoth tusk

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Grange Hill

Grange Hill. The Grange was one of the manors originally belonging to Tilty Priory. After the dissolution of the monaster¬ies it was granted in 1537 to Thomas Adlington; it changed hands many times until the manor was given as an endowment to Brentwood Grammar School in 1558. The School retained the property until the late 19th century when the land was sold and the building demolished. The Hill is the road at the front of the station.

Goodge Street

Goodge Street was once called 'Crab tree field', being a meadow belonging to a widow named Mrs. Beresford who married a Marylebone carpenter, John Goodge c. 1718. When the street was built c.1770 the name was taken from William and Francis Goodge who then owned the site.
Goldhawk Road

Goldhawk Road was Gould Hawk Lane in 1813 and maybe the road should be associated with a family named Goldhawk(e) of the 15th century, for the name is frequently mentioned in 'Court Rolls' of this time. There was also a Goldhauek living in nearby Chiswick as early as 1222.
Golders Green
Golders Green was recorded in 1612 and Golder seems clearly to refer to a personal name although no such recorded name has been noted in the early history of the parish. It seems that the name should be associated with John le Godere in 1321 and John Godyer of Hendon in 1371 and it may well be that Golders is a corruption of the later name. It is also suggested that Godyer was an obscure farmer who in fact sold his property and left the district. The Green was once part of the fields of Middlesex, which remained rural until the arrival of the railway.
Gloucester Road

Gloucester Road was known as 'Hog moore lane' as late as 1858 and at this time was probably descriptive of a muddy tract. Was re-named in the early 19th century after Maria, Duchess of Gloucester, who lived in the road at the turn of the century.
Gants Hill

Gants Hill was recorded as Gantesgave in 1291 and the name may well be associated with the family of Richard le Gant. At the planning stage of the New Works Programme 1935/40, the station was referred to as ILFORD NORTH. CRANBROOK was sug¬gested as an alternative, as was GANTS HILL which was not liked by the New Works Committee.
Fulham Broadway

Fulham Broadway. The manor of Fulanham is recorded as early as 691. There has been much speculation about the origin of the name, two explanations being foul-town on account of its muddy ways near the river, or fowl-ham - being the haunt of wild-fowl. Both of these explanations can now be discounted. It is more likely that Fulham is derived from the personal name Fulla and the Old English hamm, 'a water meadow', being descriptive of the low-lying bend in the River Thames at this point - 'The Meadow where Fulla lives', referring to an early Saxon and his family. It has had many changes in spelling and was recorded as Fullam in 1533.
Finsbury Park

Finsbury Park is on the site of the earlier Hornsey Wood. The Park, opened in 1869, was so called because the inhabitants within the old Parliamentary borough of Finsbury initiated a movement for its acquisition, which all seems very curious since it is far from Finsbury, which is near central London. Finsbury itself was recorded as Vinisbir in 1231 and this is most likely to have been derived from an Anglo-Scandinavian name Fin, and the Old English burgh, 'manor' - and thus means 'Fin's Manor'. It was recorded as Fenysbury in 1535.
Finchley Road

Finchley Road. In 1827 an Act of Parliament was passed to build a new road out of London to Barnet, to avoid the hills of Hampstead and Highgate. This road was planned by way of Finchley - hence the name.
Finchley Central

Finchley Central was recorded as Finchelee-leya c.1208 and it is possible that the name is derived from what can be interpreted as a finch clearing (meaning the bird) and the Old English leah, 'a forest' - 'the clearing in the forest with the finches'. More likely, the wording is from a personal name Finc - meaning 'Finc's Forest'. The name has many spellings and was recorded as Fyncheley in 1547.