,
Random
Jack the Ripper walk (part four)

Twickenham bridge

Cutty Sark

Temple Church

St Mary-at-Lambeth

Ivory salt cellar

Introduction (part four)

Ickenham

Waterloo bridge (part two)

Franks casket

Commemorative head of Queen Idia

Tea cakes

Southwark Cathedral (part one)

Wooden bodhisattva mask

Swimming reindeer carved from the tip of a mammoth tusk

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Harrow & Wealdstone

Harrow & Wealdstone - for Harrow see Harrow-on-the-Hill. Wealdstone was Weald Stone in 1754 and the name probably derives from the Old English weald, 'a forest', indicating that the land here was once covered by the heavy Middlesex woodlands, and a 'boundary stone'. A 'stone', three feet tall, still stands outside the 'Wealdstone Inn' but it is doubtful if this is the original one. We may assume that Wealdstone means 'the boundary stone in the forest'. The growth of this place dates from the opening of the London & Birmingham Railway.
Harlesden

Harlesden was recorded as Herulvestune in the Domesday Book and comes from the personal name of the Saxon Heoruwulf (or Herewuff) and Old English tun, ' a farm' - means 'Heoruwulfs farm', being on a site where he and his family once lived. It was recorded as Herlesdon in 1291.
Hanger Lane


Hanger Lane was named Hanger Hill in 1710 and marks the site of a wood recorded as le Hangrewode in 1393 and is derived from the Old English hangra 'a wooded hill' with clinging steep slopes, later changed to Lane.


Hampstead

Hampstead is a name of simple meaning being derived from Old English ham, 'a home' and stede 'a site' - meaning, literally 'the home-site', and probably refers to a farm-site. Recorded as Hemstede in the 10th century and Hamstede in the Domesday Book.
Hammersmith

Hammersmith was recorded as Hammersmyth in 1294 and was a hamlet within Fulham until 1834. The origin of the name is in doubt. Some suggest that it is derived from Old English ham, 'a home' or 'town' and hythe 'a port' - 'the home by the port', referring to its location on the Thames. More likely it comes from (again Old English) hamor, 'hammer' and smydde 'a smithy' - referring to a local blacksmith who once lived here. It was recorded as Hammersmith in 1675.
Hainault

Hainault is not of French origin as it may seem, but is a corrup¬tion of the earlier name Hyneholt. In its turn this is derived from the Old English hiwan, 'a household' and holt, 'a wood' (or hale, 'a nook of land') - means 'the household on the land with a wood'. The household probably refers to a local religious com¬munity. The modern spelling seems to arise from a fictitious connection with a Philippa of Hainault.
Gunnersbury

Gunnersbury. Tradition has it that on a site near here stood the dwelling of Gunhilda (or Gunyld) the niece of the Danish King Canute (reigned 1016-1035) but this seems to rest on unsup-ported evidence. Recorded as Gounyldebury in 1334 its name seems to be derived, nevertheless, from a female name of Scandinavian origin - Gunnhild's (or variations) and the Old English burh, 'a manor'. It was recorded as Gunsbury in с. 1651.
Green Park

Green Park was created in 1668 and extends north from the Mall and Constitution Hill to Piccadilly; it is 53 acres in size and triangular in shape. Originally added to the Royal Parks by Charles II, it replaced St James's Park as the fashionable resort of society. Reduced in size by George III in 1767 to enlarge the gardens of Buckingham Palace, it was then known occasionally as Upper St James's Park. The name seems to have been derived from the grass that grew all around'.
Greenford

Greenford was recorded as grenan forda in 845 and as Greneford in the Domesday Book. As the name suggests, it refers to a ford, which was a crossing place over the River Brent which led to a green.
Great Portland Street

Great Portland Street. In 1710 the manor of Marylebone was bought by the Duke of Newcastle, but by 1734 it passed to the Second Duke of Portland. When the street was built in the late 18th century it was so named in honour of the Duke, the northern part being known as Portland Road, which was recorded in 1793. The prefix Great does not indicate the impor¬tance of the street itself but that there are smaller streets of the same name in the neighbourhood.