Marble portrait of Alexander the Great

Hampton Court Bridge (part two)

Upper part of a colossal limestone statue of a bearded man

Westminster bridge (part six)

Sword from the armoury of Tipu Sultan (1750-99)

Old Street

Prince Regent

Colossal winged bull from the Palace of Sargon

The Blues and Royals

Palmerston gold chocolate cups


Ivory statuette of a king

Richmond railway bridge


Barnes Railway bridge

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...

Poplar was recorded as 'Poplar' in 1327 and means the (Place at) the 'poplar tree', probably a local meeting point in ancient times. The station was opened on 31 August 1987.
Pontoon Dock

Pontoon Dock. The word pontoon is from the French ponton which means a bridge. The station opened on 6 December 2005.

Mudchute. The Mudchute is the adjacent hill of mud dredged from the Millwall dock over the years - hence this rather unusual name.
London City Airport

London City Airport is named after the airport opened in 1987 for short take-off and landing aircraft. The station opened on 6 December 2005.

Limehouse was recorded as Le Lymhostes in 1367 and means 'the oasts or kilns' from the Old English lim and ast. Therefore the place name really means what the word suggests.

Lewisham was recorded as Levesham in the Domesday Book and the name is derived from the personal name of the Saxon Leofsa and the Old English tun 'a homestead'. The name changed to its present spelling in the course of time.
Langdon Park

Langdon Park. The station carries the name of the nearby park that opened in 1963. The park and a local school are named after the Reverend C. G. Langdon. vicar of All Angels, Bromley-by- Bow between 1913 and 1925, for his work among the poor.
King George V

King George V. The station is named after the nearby docks, in turn named after the reigning monarch at the time the building of the docks, by the Port of London Authority, began in 1912. Construction was delayed by the First World War and they opened in 1921.
Island Gardens

Island Gardens. In 1895 a formal garden was laid out here by the London County Council on former waste land. Initially the park was called the Island Garden.
Heron Quays

Heron Quays. Unlike Canary Wharf, this is one of the places in London whose name really means what is stated, for the Quay takes its name from the herons which at one time nested on the old buildings in this area, and maybe on a good day they can still be seen. All this was noted in the local City of London Recorder in 1987. A quay is a landing place for the loading and unloading of ships (from the Old French quai - an enclosure).