,
Random
EDF Energy London Eye timeline

Hinton St Mary mosaic

Sword from the armoury of Tipu Sultan (1750-99)

East Putney

Strawberries and cream cupcakes

Ceremonial bronze dirk

Southwark Bridge (part one)

Embankment

London bridge (part four)

The Scots Guards

Blackfriars Railway Bridge

Victoria

Waterloo bridge (part five)

“When will they lern, Dear ol Boss?”

The Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Snaresbrook

Snaresbrook was so named in 1599 and takes its name from a nearby natural landmark. The name is derived from the Old English shear, 'swift' and brook - 'the swift flowing brook'.
Sloane Square

Sloane Square. Like many other street names in this part of London, the square is named in honour of Sir Hans Sloane (1660-1753) the physician and botanist who purchased the manor of Chelsea from the Cheyne family in 1712. In 1749 his great collection of books and curiosities formed the basis of the British Museum. Over the station, through a square iron conduit 15 feet above the platforms, passes the River Westbourne which eventually reaches the River Thames by Chelsea Bridge.
Shepherd's Bush Market

Shepherd's Bush Market - see Shepherd s Bush. The market is on Underground-owned land and opened for business in 1914 when the station was resited on the north side of the Uxbridge Road.
Shepherd's Bush

Shepherd's Bush either takes its name from the shepherds who used this place as a meadow or more likely from a personal name of someone so called. It was recorded as Sheppards Bush Green in 1635.
Seven Sisters

Seven Sisters took its name from seven elm trees which stood near Page Green, where the Seven Sisters Road (built 1831-33) joined the old Ermine Street. They were marked as 7 Sesters in 1754. then Seven Sisters in 1805.
St Paul's

St Paul's takes its name from the nearby Cathedral of the Diocese of London. The tradition that a Roman temple once stood here has no evidence to support it. There was, however, a Christian Church built here in the 7th century which was destroyed by fire in 1087. This is the third Cathedral built on the present site, and was planned by Sir Christopher Wren after the previous one had been destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. Construction commenced in 1675 and was completed some 27 years later.
St John's Wood

St John's Wood was recorded as Sci Johannis in 1294, and the wood was granted to the Knights Templars of St. John of Jerusalem but later passed into the possession of the Hospitallers of this Order. This fashionable district of north¬west London was first recorded as (Grete) St. John's Wood in 1558.
St James's Park

St James's Park lies on the site of an ancient hospital dedicated to St James the Less, from which it takes its name. It was part of a swamp until, on the orders of Henry VIII in 1532, it was drained to become a bowling green, tilt yard, and breeding ground for deer. John Nash re-designed the park in 1827-29.
Ruislip Manor

Ruislip Manor - see Ruislip. Today near the River Pinn lies Manor farm. This, and its surroundings, once held a priory dependent on the Norman Abbey of Bee. During the wars with France the Manor was confiscated by the Crown and the priory was closed in 1414. The land was granted to the Earl of Bedford, then to King's College, Cambridge, who still own the lordship of the manor.
Ruislip Gardens

Ruislip Gardens - see Ruislip. The Gardens were taken from the name of a nearby 1930s housing development.