,
Random
Chocolate and orange marble cake

The Sovereign's Birthday Parade

Kenton

The Second World War

Barking

Tughra of Suleyman the Magnificent

Kennington

Highgate

Relief panel from the Harpy Tomb

Caffeine in Tea

St Bartholomew the Great (West Smithfield)

Rulers

Bronze hoplite helmet

Elgin amphora

Introduction (part two)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Stamford Brook

Stamford Brook was recorded in 1650 and this was the name of the stream which divided, near its mouth to the west, the parishes of Acton and Chiswick from Fulham, and further north was spanned by Bollo Bridge. The name is derived from a stony ford, once located here, where the main Great West Road crossed the stream.
South Woodford

South Woodford - see Woodford. The station was opened as GEORGE LANE on 22 August 1856 by the Eastern Counties Railway. It was re-named SOUTH WOODFORD (GEORGE LANE) on 5 July 1937, and SOUTH WOODFORD in 1950. First used by Underground trains on 14 December 1947.
South Wimbledon

South Wimbledon - see Wimbledon. During planning of the station the name MERTON GROVE was used, but it was opened as SOUTH WIMBLEDON on 13 September 1926 as it was thought advantageous to the Underground to show the station's near connection to the somewhat better known Wimbledon.
Southwark

Southwark lies on the south side of the Thames. A stone bridge was built here over the river, probably by the Romans soon after they landed in AD43. Called Suthriganawoerc in the 10th century - meaning 'fort of the men of Surrey'. It was recorded as Sudwerca in the Domesday Book - meaning 'southern defensive work or fort', from the Old English suth and weorc.
South Ruislip

South Ruislip - see Ruislip. The station was opened on 21 November 1948. The station on the adjacent main line was opened by the Great Western & Great Central Joint Committee as NORTHOLT JUNCTION on 1 May 1908. It was re-named SOUTH RUISLIP&NORTHOLT JUNCTION on 12 September 1932, and became SOUTH RUISLIP on 30 June 1947.
South Kensington

South Kensington - see Kensington.Prior to the station's opening the name CROMWELL ROAD was considered, but it opened as SOUTH KENSINGTON on 24 December 1868, the Piccadilly Line tube station on 8 January 1907.
South Harrow

South Harrow - see Harrow-on-the-Hill. The station was opened as SOUTH HARROW on 28 June 1903. It was re-sited on 5 July 1935.
Southgate

Southgate was so recorded in 1370 and was known as le Southgate in 1608. The hamlet here grew up at the south gate of Enfield Chase and is so named.
Southfields

Southfields was recorded as Suthfield in 1247 and takes its name from a great field where farm produce was once sold.
South Ealing

South Ealing - see Ealing Broadway. The station was opened as SOUTH EALING on 1 May 1883.