,
Random
Raising the EDF Energy London Eye

Ringlemere gold cup

Mammoth-shaped spear thrower

The taste of Notting Hill

After the Clink – Prison Reform

Westminster Abbey (Collegiate Church of St Peter, Parliament Square) - part one

Hammersmith bridge (part five)

Francisco Jose de Goya у Lucientes (1746-1828), El sueno de la razon produce monstruos

Barking

Marble Arch

A royal appointment

Mansion House

Rhind mathematical papyrus

Kew bridge (part one)

Animals

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Highbury & Islington
 (голосов: 0)
Highbury & Islington

Highbury & Islington. Originally Highbury was a summer camp of the Romans and during the 13th century the Priory of St John of Jerusalem had a manor here that was destroyed in 1381. Recorded as Heybury during the 14th century, the name is derived from high and the Old English burh, 'the manor on high ground', as opposed to nearby Canonbury and Barnsbury which stand on lower ground. Islington, recorded as Gislandune c.1000 and Isendone in the Domesday Book, is derived from: 1- the personal name Gisla and Old English dun, 'hill or down' - 'Gisla's hill' referring to a Saxon and his family who once lived on a site here, or; 2- the Old English Gisel, a ' hostage' and dun', hill' - indicating that hostages were once held here, or 3- Old English Isel, 'lower' and don - which can be interpreted as meaning 'a fortified enclosure'. It was recorded as Islyndon in 1554.

The station was opened as HIGHBURY on 28 June 1904 and renamed HIGHBURY & ISLINGTON on 20 July 1922.




Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.