,
Random
Kew bridge (part one)

The Civil War

Hiroshige Utagawa (1797-1858), Suido Bridge and Surugadai

Hammersmith bridge (part five)

Soured cream and chocolate cupcakes

Westminster Methodist Central Hall

Lambeth bridge (part three)

Colossal bust of Ramesses II

Theories

Smoked salmon and herb creme fraiche sandwiches

Animals

Epping

Brent Cross

Richmond railway bridge

Jack the Ripper walk (part six)

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Harrow & Wealdstone
 (голосов: 0)
Harrow & Wealdstone


Harrow & Wealdstone - for Harrow see Harrow-on-the-Hill. Wealdstone was Weald Stone in 1754 and the name probably derives from the Old English weald, 'a forest', indicating that the land here was once covered by the heavy Middlesex woodlands, and a 'boundary stone'. A 'stone', three feet tall, still stands outside the 'Wealdstone Inn' but it is doubtful if this is the original one. We may assume that Wealdstone means 'the boundary stone in the forest'. The growth of this place dates from the opening of the London & Birmingham Railway.

The station was opened by the London & Birmingham Railway as HARROW on 20 July 1837. It was renamed HARROW & WEALDSTONE on 1 May 1897 and first used by Underground trains on 16 April 1917.





Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.