Euston Square

Kingston bridge (part two)

Reliquary of St Eustace

Bronze aquamanile

The Household Cavalry Regiment

Buckhurst Hill

Diorite statue, probably of Gudea of Lagash

Sir Joseph Bazalgette (1819-1891)

Portland vase

Afternoon Tea

Madeira Cake

Willesden Junction

Red deer antler heddress

Alabaster ‘eye idol’

Cucumber, cream cheese and dill sandwiches

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
 (голосов: 0)

Hammersmith was recorded as Hammersmyth in 1294 and was a hamlet within Fulham until 1834. The origin of the name is in doubt. Some suggest that it is derived from Old English ham, 'a home' or 'town' and hythe 'a port' - 'the home by the port', referring to its location on the Thames. More likely it comes from (again Old English) hamor, 'hammer' and smydde 'a smithy' - referring to a local blacksmith who once lived here. It was recorded as Hammersmith in 1675.

The Hammersmith & City Line station was opened as HAMMERSMITH on 13 June 1864, and re-sited farther south on 1 December 1868. The District Line station was opened as HAMMERSMITH on 9 September 1874.


Hampstead in the 1920s. Heath Street is on the right.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.