,
Random
Oval

Tower bridge (part four)

Waterloo bridge (part three)

Angel

Cloisonné jar

Fine luggage, furniture and curios - Dee Zammit

Bethnal Green

Hounslow West

Admonitions handscroll

The queen of vintage - Hilary Proctor

Wandsworth bridge (part one)

Macadamia and stem ginger cookies

Bronze model of a human head

Hungerford bridge (part four)

Northfields

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Charing Cross
 (голосов: 0)
Charing Cross


Charing Cross. By tradition, it is said that Edward I in 1291 set up a stone cross near what is now the courtyard of the main-line station to mark the last resting place of the funeral cortege of his Queen Eleanor as it passed from Harby to Westminster - hence the Cross part of the name which was recorded as the stone cross of Cherryngge during the 14th century. There was a little village here named Cyrringe c.1000 and the name is derived from the Old English cierring, 'turning' or 'to turn', probably referring to the bend in the river Thames nearby. Charing Cross Road was built in the 1880s.



Charing Cross

Charing Cross early in the twentieth century, looking east down the Strand.


The Bakerloo Line station was opened as TRAFALGAR SQUARE on 10 March 1906. The Northern Line station was opened as CHARING CROSS on 22 June 1907, being re-named CHARING CROSS (STRAND) on 6 April 1914 and further re-named STRAND on 9 May 1915 until being closed for re-building on 4 June 1973. The combined station serving the Bakerloo, Northern and Jubilee lines was named CHARING CROSS from 1 May 1979.




Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.