,
Random
Marco Zoppo (с. 1432-78), Dead Christ Supported by Angels

St George’s

Scones

Tughra of Suleyman the Magnificent

Fresh Lemonade

Southwark Cathedral (part two)

Southwark

Raphael (1483-1520), The Virgin and Child

St Paul's Cathedral (part one)

St Stephen Walbrook

21st century landmark

Kennington

The Irish Guards

Greenford

White City

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Chancery Lane
 (голосов: 0)
Chancery LaneChancery Lane was constructed by the Knights Templars c.1160 and has a long history with many changes of name. It was recorded as Newstrate (New Street) in the early part of the 13th century. During the reign of Henry III (1216-72) a house was erected on the eastern side of the lane for the conversion of Jews to the Christian faith. The house became famous and Newstrate became Convers Lane. Towards the end of the 13th century, Edward I banished the Jews from the country and the house was used by the Keeper of the Rolls', where the official records of the Inns of Chancery were kept and once again the name of the street was changed to Chancellor's Lane and was recorded as this in 1320.

Eventually this name was superseded (once again) by Chancery Lane, c.1454 and it seems to imply that the Chancellor (of the Rolls) had a personal office or residence in the Lane.

The station was opened as CHANCERY LANE on 30 July 1900. After extensive re-construction, a new station was opened as CHANCERY LANE (GRAYS INN) on 25 June 1934, gradually reverting to just CHANCERY LANE.



Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.