,
Random
Jack the Ripper walk (part five)

Jack the Ripper walk (part six)

Barking

Jack the Ripper walk (part seven)

White porcelain ‘moon jar’

Deptford Bridge

Millennium Bridge (part two)

Ladbroke Grove

Pipe in the form of an otter

Matching teas and cakes

Tottenham Hale

The Portobello menu

Beckton Park

Mask of the Nulthamalth (fool dancer)

Highbury & Islington

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Cannon Street
 (голосов: 0)
Cannon StreetCannon Street has no connection with guns or even billiards as the name might suggest, for the candle-makers and wick-chandlers who made their wares for the Church lived here in the late Middle Ages. It was first mentioned in the records of c.1180 as Candelwichstrete (from Candle and Old English wic, 'a dwelling'). Through a series of name-shortenings and the Cockney dialect the name was contracted to Cannon Street by the mid-17th century and this modern form was noted by Pepys in his famous diary in 1667. On the site of the present mainline station was once the Steelyard, a store to which members of the German Hanseatic League once brought their goods for sale.

The main line station was opened by the South Eastern Railway on 1 September 1866. The Underground station was opened also as CANNON STREET on 6 October 1884.




Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.