,
Random
Barkingsid

Folkton drums

Hammersmith bridge (part four)

Hanger Lane

Matching teas and cakes

Limestone panel depicting the Buddhapada

EDF Energy London Eye River Cruise

Southwark

Southwark Bridge (part two)

St Etheldreda’s

The Liberty of the Clink

Jack the Ripper walk (part six)

Tea Ceremonies

Lewisham

Canning Town

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Canning Town
 (голосов: 0)
Canning Town

Canning Town is the industrial and residential district built up during the 1850s to house the labourers working in the nearby Victoria Docks. It has been suggested that the town is named in honour of Lord Canning (a former Governor General of India) but this can be discounted. In fact the town takes its name from an industrial firm which was once centred in this area.

The original Great Eastern Railway station was opened on the south side of the Barking Road as CANNING TOWN in 1847, being moved to its present site in 1888. The adjacent Jubilee Line station was opened as CANNING TOWN on 14 May 1999.


Canning Town

Barking Road at Canning Town in the 1920s.





Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.