EDF Energy London Eye timeline

East Acton

Nazelnut roulade with raspberries and cream

Hungerford bridge (part two)

A new era in tea

Notting Hill Gate

Southwark Bridge (part three)

Mummy portrait of Artemidorus

Bronze head of Apollo («Chatsworth Head»)

Blackfriars Bridge (part one)

Mold gold cape

'Fowling in the marshes', fragment of wall painting from the tomb of Nebamun

Rhind mathematical papyrus

The musicians

Geometric krater painted with a couple and a ship with oarsmen

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Bethnal Green
 (голосов: 0)
Bethnal Green
Bethnal Green. Blithehale was the recorded name for this district during the 13th century.

The second element hale means - 'an angle or corner of land'. Maybe Blithe is a corruption of the personal name Blida, a family who resided here in the reign of Edward I (1272-1307), or perhaps refers to an ancient stream of this area called Bythe. The “village green at Bathon's river meadow” could be the complete meaning of the name. It has had many changes of spelling until recorded as Bethnal Greene in 1657. On what remains of the Green now stand St John's Church (built in 1825-8), the Bethnal Green Museum and the local public gardens.

The committee of the New Works Programme 1935/40 con¬sidered the name of BETHNAL to avoid confusion with the LNER station of Bethnal Green Junction, although when the station opened as BETHNAL GREEN on 4 December 1946 the LNER had adopted the same name for their own station.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.