Papyrus from the Book of the Dead of Nedjmet

Southwark Bridge (part two)

Introduction (part five)

Chocolate and orange marble cake

Jack the Ripper walk (part five)

Limestone panel depicting the Buddhapada

London`s churches & cathedrals. Introduction. (part three)

Hungerford bridge (part three)

Warren Cup

Great dish from the Mildenhall treasure

Blackfriars Bridge (part two)


Granite sphinx

Scene from a satirical papyrus

Gaol Fever

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
 (голосов: 0)
BarkingBarking was recorded as Berecingum in 735 and is probably named from the Saxon people the Bercia and the Old English place name word ending ing, literally 'the people who lived at'. Barking, we can deduce, means - 'the home of the Bercias'. The area was divided into various manors during the Middle Ages, one being Berengers, a variation on the original name. It is also possible that the name can be interpreted as 'the dwellers among the birch trees' and, maybe, this referred to the Bercias.

The station was opened as BARKING by the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway on 13 April 1854 and first used by Underground trains on 2 June 1902.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.