,
Random
Battersea bridge (part three)

Balham

Fortnum & Mason - A relationship with tea

Barbican

“Queen of the Night” relief

St Paul's Church (Diamond Way, off Deptford High Street)

Tower bridge (part three)

Regent's Park

Belsize Park

John White, Portrait of a member of the Secotan or the Pomeioc tribe

Lemon curd

1,000,000 mark note

Mocha shortbread biscuits

Hungerford bridge (part one)

Jade votive axe

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Bank
 (голосов: 0)
BankBank takes its name from the Bank of England which was estab¬lished in 1694 based on the proposals of William Paterson, a Scotsman. From 1694-1724 the business of the Bank was carried on at Mercers' Hall, and then at Grocers' Hall. In 1724 a site in Threadneedle Street was purchased; the building was erected in 1732-4 and rebuilt in 1940.

Threadneedle Street was recorded in 1598 as Three needle Street: this probably refers to a tailor's sign, for this area was once an enclave of tailors and drapers, or a children's game threadneedle', first noticed in 1751 but which may be two centuries older. There is no evidence that the street was ever the centre for the Needlemakers' Company.

The Waterloo & City Railway was opened by the Duke of Cambridge on 11 July 1898 which was the 50th anniversary of the opening of the original Waterloo Station. The City Station was called CITY, although sometimes referred to as MANSION HOUSE. It was not re-named BANK until 28 October 1940. The Northern Line station was opened as BANK on 25 February 1900, LOMBARD STREET having been its planned name at one stage, followed by the Central Line BANK station on 30 July 1900. The re-constructed station was opened on 5 May 1925.


Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.