Canons Park

Great dish from the Mildenhall treasure

Relief panel from the Harpy Tomb

St Margaret’s Church

Articulated model dragon, signed by Myochin Kioharu

Royal Albert

Battersea bridge (part two)

Jack the Ripper walk (part seven)

Golders Green

Totteridge & Whetstone

Black Death and Rebellion

Welsh Rarebit

Fresh Lemonade

Red deer antler heddress

Jack the Ripper walk (part six)

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
 (голосов: 0)
AldgateAldgate is named after the gate which once spanned the road between Dukes Place and Jewry Street. The original gate was built by the Saxons and the name is derived from Aelgate - meaning 'open to all' a free gate. It has also been interpreted as the old-gate but this is probably incorrect. Aldgate was one of the original four gates in the City Wall, rebuilt in 1609 but demolished in 1761.

The station was opened as ALDGATE on 18 November 1876.

Aldgate East - see Aldgate.

The proposed name of the original station was COMMERCIAL ROAD, but it opened as ALDGATE EAST on 6 October 1884. The station was moved a short distance east in 1938.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.