,
Random
Battersea bridge (part three)

Balham

Fortnum & Mason - A relationship with tea

Barbican

“Queen of the Night” relief

St Paul's Church (Diamond Way, off Deptford High Street)

Tower bridge (part three)

Regent's Park

Belsize Park

John White, Portrait of a member of the Secotan or the Pomeioc tribe

Lemon curd

1,000,000 mark note

Mocha shortbread biscuits

Hungerford bridge (part one)

Jade votive axe

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Turnpike Lane
 (голосов: 0)
Turnpike Lane


Turnpike Lane once belonged to the 'Stamford Hill and Green Lanes Turnpike Trust' and a turnpike gate was erected in 1767 at the Hornsey Lane (now Tottenham Lane) end of the road; it was removed in the 1870s. A 'Turnpike' was a gate set across a road to stop those who were liable to pay a toll. Originally this was a frame consisting of two crossbars armed with pikes and turning on a post - hence the name.

The names DUCKETS GREEN and HARRINGAY were considered but the station was opened as TURNPIKE LANE on 19 September 1932.




Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.