Kentish Town

Kingston bridge (part two)

The Grenadier Guards

Boston Manor

Black obelisk of  Shalmaneser III

Upper part of a colossal limestone statue of a bearded man

1,000,000 mark note

Incised lacquer cup

Double spout and bridge pottery vessel

Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella Brant

Bethnal Green

The Household Division

Buckhurst Hill

Ruislip Gardens

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Totteridge & Whetstone
 (голосов: 0)
Totteridge & Whetstone

Totteridge & Whetstone. Totteridge was recorded as Taterugg in 1248 and is derived from the personal name of a Saxon Totta and a ridge of a hill where he lived - and thus means 'Totta's ridge'. Whetstone was recorded as Wheston in 1417 and means 'the stone quarry'. Tradition holds that there was once a large stone here on which the soldiers sharpened their steel before the battle of Barnet in 1471.

The station was opened as TOTTERIDGE by the Great Northern Railway on 1 April 1872 and was re-named TOTTERIDGE & WHETSTONE on 1 April 1874. It was first used by Underground trains on 14 April 1940.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.