,
Random
Southwark Bridge (part one)

Cooking with tea

Colossal bust of Ramesses II

Queensway

Lambeth North

Marylebone

Yi Che-gwan (1783-1837) (attributed to), Portrait of a Confucian scholar

Cristovao Canhavato (Kester) (1966-…), Throne of weapons

Latimer Road

Waterloo suicides

Waterloo

Fine luggage, furniture and curios - Dee Zammit

Rayners Lane

London`s churches & cathedrals. Introduction. (part four)

Wood Lane

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Tottenham Court Road
 (голосов: 0)
Tottenham Court Road

Tottenham Court Road was recorded as Tottenheale c.1000 and is derived from the personal name of William de Tottenhall's land and manor which, at the time of the Norman Conquest, belonged to the Deanery of St. Paul's Cathedral. A later name was Toten Hall which lay at the north-west corner of the present road. There was an ancient court here, much of which was demolished in 1765 to make way for the Euston Road. By the 17th century the place had become a tea garden and public amusement centre. During the early 19th century the road was built up when Bloomsbury to the east was being developed, although much was reconstructed in the early 1900s.

The Central London Railway station was opened as TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD on 30 July 1900; the adjacent Charing Cross Euston & Hampstead Railway station was opened as OXFORD STREET on 22 June 1907 and re-named TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD on 9 March 1908 (see also Goodge Street).


Tottenham Court Road

The original Central Line entrance to Tottenham Court Road station, little changed today from this 1930s picture.





Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.