,
Random
Battersea bridge (part three)

Balham

Fortnum & Mason - A relationship with tea

Barbican

“Queen of the Night” relief

St Paul's Church (Diamond Way, off Deptford High Street)

Tower bridge (part three)

Regent's Park

Belsize Park

John White, Portrait of a member of the Secotan or the Pomeioc tribe

Lemon curd

1,000,000 mark note

Mocha shortbread biscuits

Hungerford bridge (part one)

Jade votive axe

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Swiss Cottage
 (голосов: 0)
Swiss Cottage


Swiss Cottage takes its name from a famous London public house. Here once stood an old toll gate keeper's cottage, then later a chalet. The Swiss Tavern was built in 1803-4, the name being changed to Swiss Cottage at a later date. The building was reconstructed in 1965. Built to the design of a Swiss cottage, it claims to be the largest pub' in London. When the railway was extended in 1868 to this part of north-west London, the name was taken for the station, and later for the district.

The Metropolitan Railway station was opened as Swiss COTTAGE on 13 April 1868 and closed as from 18 August 1940.The replacing tube station opened on 20 November 1939 on the Bakerloo Line Stanmore branch, which then became part of the Jubilee Line on 1 May 1979.


Swiss Cottage

Ye Olde Swiss Cottage having its sign spruced up on a dank day at the end of the nineteenth century.






Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.