,
Random
Haniwa

Edgar Degas (1834-1917), Dancers Practising at the Barre

Goodge Street

London bridge (part five)

North Greenwich

Cyrus cylinder

Oxford Circus

St Bride's Fleet Street

Snaresbrook

Automated clock in the form of a galleon, by Hans Schlottheim (1545-1625)

Ruislip Manor

Elverson Road

Park Royal

Blackwall

Jack the Ripper walk (part one)

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Southwark
 (голосов: 0)
Southwark


Southwark lies on the south side of the Thames. A stone bridge was built here over the river, probably by the Romans soon after they landed in AD43. Called Suthriganawoerc in the 10th century - meaning 'fort of the men of Surrey'. It was recorded as Sudwerca in the Domesday Book - meaning 'southern defensive work or fort', from the Old English suth and weorc.

The station opened as SOUTHWARK on 20 November 1999.





Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.