Blackfriars Railway Bridge

The Bands


The Scots Guards

Maruyama Ōkyo (1733-95), tiger screen

Jack the Ripper walk (part two)

A new era in tea

Rock crystal skull

Dagenham East

Newbury Park

West Harrow

Diorite statue, probably of Gudea of Lagash

Honey, sultana and pecan tea bread

Kew bridge (part one)

Putney Bridge

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
St Paul's
 (голосов: 0)
St Paul's

St Paul's takes its name from the nearby Cathedral of the Diocese of London. The tradition that a Roman temple once stood here has no evidence to support it. There was, however, a Christian Church built here in the 7th century which was destroyed by fire in 1087. This is the third Cathedral built on the present site, and was planned by Sir Christopher Wren after the previous one had been destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. Construction commenced in 1675 and was completed some 27 years later.

The station was originally to be named NEWGATE STREET, but opened as POST OFFICE on 30 July 1900, the General Post Office headquarters being close by. The station was re-named ST PAUL'S on 1 February 1937.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.