,
Random
Introduction (part two)

Northwick Park

London bridge (part six)

Essential etiquette (part one)

The Scots Guards

Stilton and fig tart with walnut dressing

Tower bridge (part seven)

Dagenham Heathway

Theydon Bois

Flood tablet

Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564), Epifania

Waterloo bridge (part one)

Hammersmith bridge (part one)

Hungerford bridge (part one)

Filming

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
St John's Wood
 (голосов: 0)
St John's Wood


St John's Wood was recorded as Sci Johannis in 1294, and the wood was granted to the Knights Templars of St. John of Jerusalem but later passed into the possession of the Hospitallers of this Order. This fashionable district of north¬west London was first recorded as (Grete) St. John's Wood in 1558.

The Metropolitan Railway station opened as ST JOHN'S WOOD ROAD on 13 April 1868; re-named ST JOHN'S WOOD on 1 April 1925; and further re-named LORDS on 11 June 1939. It was replaced together with MARLBOROUGH ROAD by a new St John's Wood station on the Bakerloo Line which opened on 20 November 1939. The new station was sited between the two closed stations and was originally planned to be named ACACIA ROAD.




Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.