London bridge (part fourteen)

Introduction (part one)

Introduction (part four)


Welsh Rarebit


The Queen's Life Guard

Jack the Ripper walk (part four)

Waterloo bridge (part four)

Pytney bridge (part one)

Hans Holbein the Younger (1497/8-1543), Portrait of an English Woman


Smoked salmon and herb creme fraiche sandwiches

Kensal Green

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
 (голосов: 0)

Moorgate. As the name suggests this was the site of one of the gates in the old City wall. The first Moor gate was cut into the wall in 1415 to give access to the moorland lying to the north of London. As the wall crumbled during the 18th century the gate was demolished in 1760. The thoroughfare called Moorgate was built in 1846 and, in fact, runs from the site of the old gate.

The moor itself was virtually uninhabited and remained un¬used throughout the Middle Ages except by crowds of ice skaters who gathered in the winter months. As the area was built up over the years, The Moorfields became London's first civic park and today places such as Finsbury Square and Finsbury Circus are part of the original Moor.

The station was opened as MOORGATE STREET on 23 December 1865 and re-named MOORGATE on 24 October 1924. The Northern Line station, always called MOORGATE, was opened on 25 February 1900.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.