,
Random
Battersea bridge (part three)

Balham

Fortnum & Mason - A relationship with tea

Barbican

“Queen of the Night” relief

St Paul's Church (Diamond Way, off Deptford High Street)

Tower bridge (part three)

Regent's Park

Belsize Park

John White, Portrait of a member of the Secotan or the Pomeioc tribe

Lemon curd

1,000,000 mark note

Mocha shortbread biscuits

Hungerford bridge (part one)

Jade votive axe

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Marylebone
 (голосов: 0)
Marylebone

Marylebone. Local feeling with regard to place names should always be taken into consideration, for there is a story regarding how Marylebone received its name. For countless years the place had been known as Tyburn (Tiburne in the Domesday Book) but the association with the tragic tree became too grim and so the local folk took a new name for their parish, being a dedica¬tion of the local Church of St Mary-by-the-Bourn, thus 'Tyburn' became Maryburne and is so recorded in 1453. The le (by or near) was added later, the district being known as Mary le bone in 1746. Tyburn survived until the end of the 18th century with the Tyburn Tree, an execution place, near the present Marble Arch.

During the station's planning it was referred to as either MARYLEBONE or LISSON GROVE (where the entrance then was), but it opened as GREAT CENTRAL (reflecting the ownership of the adjacent main line station) on 27 March 1907; re-named MARYLEBONE 15 April 1917.




Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.