,
Random
Pytney bridge (part one)

Westbourne Grove

St Clement Danes

Raphael (1483-1520), The Virgin and Child

St George’s

Heathrow (Terminals 1, 2, 3, Terminal 4 and Terminal 5).

Westminster bridge (part one)

Wesley's Chapel

Stone relief of a lion hunt

Jade cong

Elverson Road

St George's Cathedral (Lambeth Road)

Vauxhall bridge (part one)

Whitechapel

Hillingdon

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Lambeth North
 (голосов: 0)
Lambeth North

Lambeth North. The name Lambeth is a reminder of the days when ships from all parts of the world sailed into the heart of London along the River Thames. Recorded in 1041 as Lambhyo and as Lanchei in the Domesday Book, it is derived from Old English Lambe and hythe, 'a haven' or 'port' - and means 'the port where lambs or cattle are shipped'. The suggestion that the first element of the name is from Old English lam 'dirt' or 'mud' can be discounted.

The station was opened as KENNINGTON ROAD on 10 March 1906; re-named WESTMINSTER BRIDGE ROAD on 5 August 1906; and LAMBETH NORTH on 15 April 1917.





Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.