,
Random
Pieter van der Heyden (1538-72), Big Fish Eat Little Fish

North Greenwich

Assistant to a Judge of Hell

The Welsh Guards

Blackfriars Bridge (part two)

Corbridge lanx

Putney Bridge

Limestone door ос

Sugar-crusted cherry cake

Madeleines

Regent's Park

Mold gold cape

Acton Town

Tea Ceremonies

Iced tea

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
King's Cross St Pancras
 (голосов: 0)
King's Cross St PancrasKing's Cross St Pancras. The district of north London now known as King's Cross was originally called Battlebridge, traditionally the site of one of the battles between Boudicca (Boadicea), the British Queen of the Iceni, and the Romans about A.D. 59 or 61 at the bridge over the River Fleet. A corruption in the Cockney dialect of Bradeford ('broad ford' - over the Holborn or Fleet River) was recorded in 1207. Later, however, the district took its present name from a statue of King George IV which stood from 1830-45 at the crossroads here. This name was generally in use when the then Great Northern Railway adopted it for its terminus in 1850. St Pancras was once a solitary village and later a manor granted by Ethelbert (reigned 860-866) to St Paul's Cathedral. Recorded as Sanctum Pancratiú in the Domesday Book, the old village took its name from the church dedicated to the boy martyr St. Pancras (Pancratius).

King's Cross St Pancras

The cut and cover method of building the Metropolitan Line shows the trench in the foreground with the completed tunnel beyond. On the is the clocktower of King's Cross Great Northern Railway station.


According to tradition this site is one of the first near London on which a church was built, but now the old church (much restored) lies nearly forgotten behind the Midland Railway main-line station named after it, which was opened in 1868. Tradition has it that the station is situated on part of Caesar's camp dating from C.BC50.
The Metropolitan Line station was opened on 10 January 1863 as KING'S CROSS; re-named KING'S CROSS & ST. PANCRAS in 1925; KING'S CROSS FOR ST. PANCRAS in 1927; and KING'S CROSS ST. PANCRAS in 1933. It was replaced by a new station farther west on 14 March 1941; this new station was adjacent to the tube stations for the Piccadilly Line (which was opened on 15 December 1906) and the Northern Line (opened on 12 May 1907). Building the Victoria Line involved extensive reconstruc¬tion, the present station being brought into use on 1 December 1968.




Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.