,
Random
Haniwa

Edgar Degas (1834-1917), Dancers Practising at the Barre

Goodge Street

London bridge (part five)

North Greenwich

Cyrus cylinder

Oxford Circus

St Bride's Fleet Street

Snaresbrook

Automated clock in the form of a galleon, by Hans Schlottheim (1545-1625)

Ruislip Manor

Elverson Road

Park Royal

Blackwall

Jack the Ripper walk (part one)

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Hyde Park Corner
 (голосов: 0)
Hyde Park Corner

Hyde Park Corner. A name that occurs frequently both in the Domesday Book and in place-names is hide, which has been described as a piece of ground sufficiently large and fertile to maintain an ordinary household'. Hyde Park was named after a hide of land belonging to the Manor of Ebury, for at about the time of the Domesday Book the manor was divided into three smaller parts, one being called Hyde. From the time of the Norman Conquest until the Dissolution (1066-1536) the Hyde was in the possession of Westminster Abbey. It was then taken by Henry VIII and converted into a royal deer-park. In 1635 Charles I opened it to the public. The Corner was the entrance to London until 1825 when the turnpike was removed. It now consists of an open triangular space, enlarged in 1888 when a portion of nearby Green Park was taken for the roadway.

The station was opened as HYDE PARK CORNER on 15 December 1906.




Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.