Changing the Guard

South Woodford

West Brompton

St Mary's Rotherhithe

The queen of vintage - Hilary Proctor


Papyrus from the Book of the Dead of Nedjmet

Kingston railway bridge

The Second World War

Manor House

Roding Valley

Hawai’ian feather cape

Lambeth bridge (part two)

Silver tetradrachm of Athens

Soapstone head

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
West Silvertown

West Silvertown is an industrial and residential district south of the Royal Victoria Docks. It was developed in the 1850s around the rubber and telegraph works of S.W. Silver and Company - hence the name Silvertown.
West India Quay

West India Quay. The area covered by the 'West India' docks comprised the largest of the original enclosed docks in the Port of London. They were built between 1802 and 1806 and cover part of the area known as the Isle of Dogs. Built originally for a 21 year monopoly of trade with the West Indies, they were later used also for India and Far East. It was not built by a shipping company, unlike the East India Docks. A Quay is a landing place for loading and unloading ships (from the Old French quai - an enclosure).

Westferry. The name is self-explanatory and is close to the West India Docks. Ferry means to transport from one place to another (from Old English ferian - to carry).
Tower Gateway

Tower Gateway, as the name suggests, is the Gateway' into the Tower of London (see Tower Hill Underground for further information and history).
South Quay

South Quay is now a business and residential area on the Isle of Dogs. It is located to the south of the West India Docks hence its name. A Quay is a landing place for the loading and unloading of ships (from the Old French quai - an enclosure).

Shadwell was recorded as Scadeuuelle in Domesday Book and as Shadewell in 1233 and means - 'a shallow well' from a once nearby local spring.
Royal Victoria

Royal Victoria was the name of the docks which were con¬structed between 1850 and 1855 being named in honour of Queen Victoria. The 'Royal' part of the name was added in 1880 and the docks were rebuilt between 1935 and 1944.
Royal Albert

Royal Albert. In 1875 Act of Parliament was obtained to con¬struct the Royal Albert Docks, which were completed by 1880. They were opened by the then Duke of Connaught and were named in honour of Prince Albert (1819-1861) the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria.
Pudding Mill Lane

Pudding Mill Lane. Very little is recorded of this place name, but we can presume that the meaning is similar to Pudding Lane in the City of London. It seems that butchers had their scalding houses here as early as the 12th century and it is suggested that 'puddings' was the nickname for butcher's offal. The Mill was once nearby.
Prince Regent

Prince Regent is a small area of the London docks which was built in the 1880s. It was named in memory of the Prince Regent (1762-1830) who later became George IV.