London Eye Barracuda

Theydon Bois


Scene from a satirical papyrus

St James's Park

Chicken with tarragon butter

London bridge (part two)


Elephant & Castle


Franks casket

Marble Arch

The Horse Guards Building

Bronze figure of a seated cat

Jam biscuits

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
The Gordon Riots
 (голосов: 0)
Harsh laws against Catholics had followed the Glorious Revolution of 1688, but 90 years later Parliament was changing its mind. The American War of Independence was so unpopular that few Englishmen would join up to fight in it, but the men of Ireland would make ideal soldiers - providing the anti-Catholic laws were altered and relaxed. Furious at the favours granted by the new ‘Papists Act', Lord George Gordon assembled ‘The Protestant Association’. On 2nd June 1780 they marched a petition to Parliament. When this was defeated (by 102 votes to six), they rioted, attacking Catholics and Catholic property.

The Gordon Riots

The next day, June 3rd, rioters broke into The Clink, released all the prisoners and burned the building to the ground - suspects included one James Taylor and a Mr Smith. They then demanded ale from the nearby Anchor brewery, which Perkins, the sensible brewer, gladly gave them, thus occupying the mob until the army arrived. The happy postscript is that none of the prisoners seem to have been recaptured. The Gordon Riots continued for several days.

The old Bishop's Palace burned down in 1814. Eventually more warehouses were built on the site. Only when the one alongside Clink Street was pulled down in the 1980s was the stonework of the beautiful Rose Window revealed. Those two walls and that at the back of The Clink Prison Museum are all that is left of the palace today.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.