South Woodford

Facts and figures

St Clement Danes

Cameo portrait of Augustus


West Ham

Trooping the Colour

Arnos Grove


Holy Thorn reliquary

Loose leaves or tea bags ?

William Blake (1757-1827), Albion Rose

The antique dealer Captain Bob

William Hogarth (1697-1764), Gin Lane

Kentish Town

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Gaol Fever
 (голосов: 0)
In 1375, a man named William de Rakyer (probably his job title rather than family name - William the |muck| raker) was appointed to clean the lock ups and remove dung from the palace stables. In 1376, Bishop William de Wykeham demolished some older buildings and doubled the length of the hall to the west, using part of the cellar vaults to hold wrongdoers. While the men's and women's gaols had undoubtedly been bad, this new subterranean location was worse. The prison had no sanitation and certainly no washing facilities. The stench inside would have been truly atrocious.

Gaol Fever

In I378 it was recorded that a huge pile of dirt, dust and filth lay in the courtyard for 31 weeks. The nearby river flooded parts of the prison at high tide, bringing in more sewage and waterborne infections including Camp Fever (Typhoid), The Ague (Malaria) and The Flux (Dysentery).
The name ‘Clink’ seems to have been attached in the 14th century and was derived from the sound of the blacksmith’s hammer closing the irons around the wrists or ankles of the prisoners. Though the similar sounding 'clinch' - to connect or to seal - and the Flemish word ‘klink’ meaning ‘latch’ - the latch on the gaol door - must both have added to the term's considerable сurrency.

Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.