,
Random
Rosetta Stone

Edgware Road

London Bridge

Rose biscuits

Edward Burne-Jones (1833-98), St. George fighting the Dragon

Feather bonnet of Yellow Calf

Waterloo bridge (part five)

Black, oolong, green or white ?

Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519), Military Machines

Northfields

Leyton

Ickenham

Bronze hoplite helmet

Canons Park

Hyde Park Corner

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009
 (голосов: 0)
Portobello Road, cl904. George Portwine the butcher had 173-175, on the right. The semi obscured name and stained-glass shopfront is still here today, leading into Portwine Galleries. Mrs Rosetta Virgo had an oil shop at 163 which later became Harris's stores, specialising in selling prams, before becoming Harris's Arcade.

Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Look above The Red Lion Antiques Market at 165-169 Portobello Road to see a sign to commemorate Susan Garth, who launched London's first antiques market on this site. Tailor Jacob Winner was offering all the trimmings here in 1904. By 1910 he had expanded next door, having taken over Mrs Emma Downs' eel pie house.

Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Portobello Road, 1904. Ernest and Elizabeth Thompson, who had two small children, Herbert and Doris, were managing Thompson's stationers and fancy store, established in 1865. They had one shop assistant, Mabel Richards, while Martha Morgan helped with the household duties. William Frost the poulterer and provisions dealer at 174, would be next door to the Portobello Road Oxfam shop today. And on the other side of the road, you now find the Electric Cinema where once would have been a large sign advertising S Hughes tobacco.

Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Portobello Road, 1904. Turning into Westbourne Park Road, the Vanguard bus running between Wormwood Scrubs and Liverpool Street advertises The Brass Bottle which was playing at The Vaudeville Theatre in the West End. Behind the bus is The Warwick Castle, a public house then run by Hunt and Trew. The pub dates back to 1853, when it was leased to the brewer Sir Henry Meux. In 1904, William Vest was barman here. The alternative to taking the bus was simple shoe leather, and both Kavanaghs on the left and Freeman Hardy and Willis on the right are depicted advertising strong boots and shoes. Walk this way to see the famous front door of 280 Westbourne Park Road, which featured in the 1999 film Notting Hill.

Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Portobello Road, c1910. The Salvation Army Hall can just be seen on the left. It was later remodelled in 1924. Next door there's a crowd outside Bedwell's the stationers and Hoare's the chemists. By the streetlamp on the right, the Colville hotel and pub was managed by George Francis Skinner with his wife Annie and two daughters, Nellie and Elsie. Mercy Parsons and Rupert Warner helped behind the bar. Today, the Colville is the First Floor restaurant.

Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Portobello Road, 1904 - 2009


Portobello Road, 1905. Jesse Smith was born in Wilmington, Delaware, USA, but then he married a girl from Surrey called Sarah, had a son called Jesse and started a business on Portobello Road selling fruit and vegetables from a barrow on the corner of Elgin Crescent. With success, the family acquired this impressive range of shops. Four of Jesse Smith's nieces came to work in the grocery business with them. This is where you can find the Admiral Vernon Antiques Market today. In 1739, Admiral Edward Vernon (1684-1757) took six ships to capture Puerto Bello, then a Spanish colony in the Gulf of Mexico. Portobello Road, Vernon Yard and Vernon Mews all commemorate his victory.

Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.