,
Random
Barking

Beckton

From farm to Fork

Bayswater

Queensway

Icon of the Triumph of Orthodoxy

Amersham

Great Portland Street

Painted terracotta sarcophagus of Seianti Hanunia Tlesnasa

The First World War

Redbridge

Wooden guardian figure

Limestone statue of an unnamed nobleman and his wife

Plaistow

Fenton vase

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Holy Thorn reliquary
 (голосов: 0)
THIS CHRISTIAN RELIQUARY was made to house a thorn from the Crown of Thorns, the wreath of thorns placed on the head of Christ at his crucifixion. Like the bones of the Buddha, the Holy Thorn was a very important and powerful religious relic.

A dramatic scene of the Last Judgement surrounds the relic. Around the outside are the twelve Apostles, with God the Father at the top. At the bottom, four angels sound trumpets as the dead emerge from their tombs. Behind the figure of God is a gold relief of the Holy Face on the Cloth of St Veronica, a fragment of which may have been held in the secondary compartment at the reverse. This is protected by two gold doors decorated with images of saints Christopher and Michael. It is thought the reliquary may be connected to Jean, Hue de Berry (1340-1416).

Holy Thorn reliquary


From Paris, c. AD 1400-10 lit 30.5 cm
Bequeathed by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild





Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.