,
Random
Chocolate and orange marble cake

The Sovereign's Birthday Parade

Kenton

The Second World War

Barking

Tughra of Suleyman the Magnificent

Kennington

Highgate

Relief panel from the Harpy Tomb

Caffeine in Tea

St Bartholomew the Great (West Smithfield)

Rulers

Bronze hoplite helmet

Elgin amphora

Introduction (part two)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Temple Church

Amidst the lanes and courtyards of the Inner and Middle Temple, between Fleet Street and the Thames, there is a historical gem: the Temple Church, a rare surviving example of a Norman round church, which was consecrated by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem, in 1185. It also possesses a distinguished Early English chancel, which is an even more exceptional survival for central London, and it has an interesting collection of mediaeval effigies.
St Stephen Walbrook


Wren's most remarkable parish church was built in 1672-80, with the steeple added in 1713-17. The exterior is to a large extent hidden behind the Mansion House and is markedly plain. Only the steeple deserves notice. To the south of the tower a door beneath a garlanded oval window leads up a flight of steps into a west apse, which is screened from the interior proper by a substantial door-case.
St Mary-le-Bow

Cheapside was the City's main street and market-place ('cheap' or 'chipping' in a place-name refers to a market) and a scene of mediaeval riots. Wren acknowledged its importance by designing for it his grandest steeple. St Mary-le-Bow cost more to rebuild than any other parish church after the Great Fire, and almost half of the money was spent on the steeple. It is a proud structure, 70 metres (230 feet) high and surmounted by a dragon vane 2.7 metres (9 feet) long, which dominates the modern office blocks just as much as it presided over the houses and shops of Restoration London.
St Magnus the Martyr

The church stands on the south side of one of the City's busiest roads, a dual carriageway, and in the shadow of Adelaide House, a huge office block of 1921-4. Originally, however, it had a most prominent site, for it stood at the north end of Old London Bridge and appears in numerous Georgian paintings of the river. After the houses and shops had been removed from the bridge in 1760, and the northern approach had been widened, the footway on the downstream side actually went under the church's tower.
St Katharine Cree

St Katharine's is in a category by itself, for it was built in 1628-31 in a mixture of Gothic and Classical styles which has no parallel in London's churches. It was built in that brief period when William Laud was the Bishop of London, and when efforts were made to restore and enrich church buildings that had suffered the depredations of the Tudor Reformation. Laud consecrated the church on 31 January 1631.
St Helen's Bishopsgate


St Helen's is a precious survivor in the City from before the Great Fire and a survivor, too, of modern bomb outrages. It has the best collection of monuments of any parish church in the capital, earning it the label 'the Westminster Abbey of the City'.
St Bride's Fleet Street


Few churches anywhere can have had so remarkable a roll-call of literary and artistic parishioners as St Bride's, and as Fleet Street was until lately the home of national newspapers, the church was the industry's parish church.
St Bartholomew the Great (West Smithfield)

The mediaeval City of London had many monasteries, but this is the only major one whose church survives, and moreover the greater part of the standing fabric is Norman. The Priory and Hospital of St Bartholomew were founded in the early 12th century by Rahere, a prebendary of St Paul's and a courtier of King Henry I, after he had recovered from a life-threatening illness on a visit to Rome.
All Hallows by the Tower

The oldest standing fabric of any London church is to be found at All Hallows'. A tall, narrow arch built of 'recycled' Roman tiles in the south-west corner could be part of a 7th-century church belonging to the great abbey at Barking, miles away across the Essex creeks and marshes. The church has therefore also been known for centuries as All Hallows Barking.
St Paul's Cathedral (part two)

The great pulpit on the south-east of the crossing was designed by Lord Mottistone in 1960: an exuberant essay in the Wren style, but with a much larger and heavier tester than we see in the City's parish churches. The traditional eagle lectern to the west of the crossing is by Jacob Sutton, 1720. The four statues in the angles between the aisles form a set agreed by the Dean and Chapter in the 1790s.