,
Random
Chocolate and orange marble cake

The Sovereign's Birthday Parade

Kenton

The Second World War

Barking

Tughra of Suleyman the Magnificent

Kennington

Highgate

Relief panel from the Harpy Tomb

Caffeine in Tea

St Bartholomew the Great (West Smithfield)

Rulers

Bronze hoplite helmet

Elgin amphora

Introduction (part two)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
St Pancras Parish Church

The famous railway station that was opened in 1868 took its name from an ancient parish that developed rapidly in Georgian times. A bigger church was needed and the result was a remarkable Greek Revival building, which was built in 1819-22 to the designs of William Inwood and his son, Henry William. Henry William Inwood travelled to Greece to study Classical buildings. In 1827 he published The Erechtheon at Athens, whose details he had duly copied in Upper Woburn Place.
St Georges Bloomsbury

A patron saint, a new monarch and one of the seven wonders of the ancient world are all celebrated in the fabric of St Georges, Bloomsbury. It is regarded as one of the most authentically Classical churches in London. Its architect was Nicholas Hawksmoor, whose usual vigorous style produced here a deep portico that has been admired as the most Roman of its type in London, and whose stepped spire is based on Plinys account of the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. St Georges was built under the Fifty New Churches Act.
St Etheldredas

St Etheldredas was originally the chapel in a palace of the Bishops of Ely, and recalls the pre-Reformation days when most mediaeval bishops, abbots and priors kept large houses in London; Lambeth Palace is the great survivor of such houses today.
Westminster Methodist Central Hall
It might seem strange that a building of secular appearance that housed the first meeting of the United Nations General Assembly in 1946, should be one the Methodisms chief centres. It was opened in 1912 as the eventual result of a wish in 1891 to mark the centenary of John Wesleys death. In 1898 the Wesleyan Methodist Twentieth Century Fund was set up; it was popularly known as the Million Guinea Fund because a million Methodists were encouraged to give a guinea each. Messrs Lanchester & Rickards won the completion to design the new building, and it was built in 1905-12.
Westminster, St Johns

Although Queen Anne likened it to a footstool and Dickens lampooned it as some petrified monster, frightful and gigantic, on its back with its legs in the air, St Johns is nevertheless one of the Londons most important Baroque buildings. It was built in 1713-28 under the Fifty New Churches Act to the designs of Thomas Archer. St Johns was bombed in 1941 and was restored by Marshall Sisson only in 1965-9, for use as a concert hall.
St Pauls Church (Bedford Street)

One of the great first encounters in 20th-century theatre is that between Professor Henry Higgins and the flower-girl Eliza Doolittle in Shaws Pygmalion. It takes place beneath the portico of St Pauls, Covent Garden, an apt theatrical setting for a church close to so many theatres. St Pauls has become known as the actors church and has a large number of theatrical memorials.
St Martin-in-the-Fields

Trafalgar Square is so central and important a public apace in central London that the church of St Martin-in-the-Fields at its north-east corner seems to have the most prominent site of any church in the city. Since Dick Sheppards time as Vicar (1914-27), it has also had a national and international role, through its broadcasting, publications and music.
St Margarets Church

The parish church of the House of Commons, St Margarets stands between Westminster Abbey and the House of Parliament, and owes its prominence to both. For centuries it has been run in tandem with the abbey; indeed, it was founded to serve the layfolk who lived around the great monastery.
St Georges

The dedication of this fashionable London church and the name of the nearby square are trumpetings of King George I, the first monarch of the House of Hanover. A great ornament of his court, George Frederick Handel, the famous composer, was a parishioner here from 1724 to 1759. Handels house still stands in Brook Street (next door, incongruously, to that of Jimi Hendrix).
St Cyprians

St Cyprians owes its existence to a distinguished priest, Charles Gutch, who nevertheless died before it was built. He was an Anglo-Catholic pioneer, who settled in St Marylebone in 1866. He ran a highly successful parish for 30 years a hero of the Victorian Church and he ought to have been able to build a permanent church.