,
Random
Chocolate and orange marble cake

The Sovereign's Birthday Parade

Kenton

The Second World War

Barking

Tughra of Suleyman the Magnificent

Kennington

Highgate

Relief panel from the Harpy Tomb

Caffeine in Tea

St Bartholomew the Great (West Smithfield)

Rulers

Bronze hoplite helmet

Elgin amphora

Introduction (part two)

News from our friends
Into the future
Elizabeth II HAS REIGNED in a world moving swiftly through political shifts, cultural change and technological advances. Traditional institutions of law, religion and politics have suffered loss of ...
Elizabeth II (1952 - )
Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was born at 17 Bruton Street, London on 21 April 1926. A happy childhood was spent with her parents, the Duke and Duchess of York, and younger sister Margaret Rose. ...
Edward VIII and George VI (1936 - 1952)
Edward VIII (1936) Edward, Prince of Wales, eldest son of George V and Queen Mary, was known to the family as 'David'. Charming and informal, he was a popular prince, touring Britain and the empire, ...
George V (1910 - 1936)
Edward vii's eldest son Albert died at the age of 28, and so it was his second son, George, who followed him as king. George had learned the navy's traditions of duty and. Blue-eyed, blunt, and ...
House of Windsor
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, she left three generations of heirs. They, it was expected, would reign as monarchs of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. In fact, the name survived only 16 years. In ...
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Southwark Cathedral (part one)

Few acres of London have had so eventful a past as those that make up the ancient town of Southwark. The town's raison d'etre was London Bridge, which was London's only bridge from Roman times until as recently as 1750. Southwark was London's gateway from the south. The cathedral has stood sentinel over this southern approach for over a thousand years. Chaucer's pilgrims, Shakespeare's plays, the mediaeval rebellions of Wat Tyler and Jack Cade, and the mediaeval palace of the powerful Bishops of Winchester have all been part of the story of its ancient parish.
St Paul's Church (Diamond Way, off Deptford High Street)

Sir John Betjeman once called this church 'a pearl in the heart of Deptford'. It is an exuberant Baroque building in Portland stone, which was designed by Thomas Archer and built in 1713-30 under the Fifty New Churches Act. The old maritime district it serves has been much battered by redevelopment and war, and it was the setting of an immense pastoral effort by the late Canon David Diamond, Rector from 1969 to 1992.
St Mary-at-Lambeth

St Mary's has been run since 1979 by the Tradescant Trust as the Garden Museum, for in its churchyard there lie buried those famous pioneers of English horticulture, John Tradescant (c.1570-1638) and his son, also John (1608-62), gardeners to the monarchs and magnates of Stuart England. West of their tomb stands the monument of William Bligh, who was the master of the Bounty in 1789 when the notorious mutiny took place. His house still stands in Lambeth Road.
St Mary Abbots (Kensington Church Street)

The proud spire rises to 85 metres (278 ft), the highest in London. Kensington is a very prosperous part of London today. Sir George Gilbert Scott's church of 1868-72 mirrors that status. St Mary's first noticeable feature is the vaulted cloister that crosses the churchyard. This was added in 1889-93 by J. T. Micklethwaite and Somers Clarke.
London Oratory (Brompton Road)

The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by St Philip Neri (1515-95) as part of the renewal of the Roman Catholic Church after the Reformation, The Oratory was brought into England in 1848 by Cardinal Newman (1801-90), but he settled in Birmingham, and it was therefore his fellow convert from the Church of England, Frederick William Faber (1814-63), who set up the London Oratory in South Kensington.
St Nicholas's (part two)

The church we see today largely dates from a rebuilding of 1697 by Charley Stanton. It is of red brick with stone dressings. The exception is the tower of Kentish ragstone, which has survived from the late Middle Ages. Its upper part was rebuilt by George Parker in 1903-4. The church was bombed and gutted in the Blitz. Restoration by Thomas F Ford and Partners was completed in 1958.
St Nicholas's (part one)

Deptford is steeped in English maritime history. Rotherhithe, Deptford and Greenwich were all chiefly known in past centuries for their maritime connections, but of the three, Deptford was by far the most important. It was the site of a royal dockyard from 1513 to 1869. Many eminent naval men lived there, as their successors would tend to live near Portsmouth or Devonport.
Wesley's Chapel

John Wesley (1703-91) was one of the greatest figures in English Christian history, for he founded and led the huge new movement of Methodism, and throughout his adult life travelled and preached all over England and also in North America. He was the son of an Anglican parson, and his rescue from fire as a child made him think that he had a special destiny.
St Alfege

It is a rare church in England, let alone London, that can claim to be built on the site of the martyrdom of the saint after whom it is named. In this case, St Alfege was martyred at Greenwich by the Vikings on 9 April 1012. A slab in the pavement of the chancel commemorates the event.
Old Royal Naval College Chapel

The great palace by the river at Greenwich, which Sir Christopher Wren and other architects built for pensioners of the Royal Navy and which long housed the Royal Naval College, is one of London’s most significant buildings. King William III gave the site and existing buildings for use as a Naval Hospital, to match the Royal Hospital for soldiers at Chelsea.