,
Random
The Uniforms

West Acton

Highbury & Islington

Lambeth North

‘Seal of God’ from Dr John Dee’s magic set

How to get your own back at perennial rule breakers

Gold croesid coin

Ravenscourt Park

Temple

Westminster bridge (part four)

How the Museum was Made

Hounslow Central

Nicholas Hilliard (1547-1619), cast and chased gold medal of Elizabeth I

Clapham South

J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851), Tintern Abbey, the transept

News from our friends
XML error in File: http://www.anglophile.ru/en/rss.xml
XML error: Not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
Most Popular
Peter Paul Rubens (1577-1640), Isabella BrantThis famous portrait drawing is of Rubens’ first wife, ...
Waterloo suicidesFor centuries people have been committing or attempting...
The queen of vintage - Hilary ProctorThere's only one thing more fabulous than Hilary Pr...
The Blues and RoyalsIn 1969 The Royal Horse Guards (The Blues) were amalgam...
London Oratory (Brompton Road)The Congregation of the Oratory was founded in Rome by ...
London bridge (part twelve)After the opening in 1836 of London Bridge station, the...
Clocks and watches - Martyn Stamp"1970s watches are very popular right now, whereas...
Guy's Hospital ChapelThe benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-kn...
Discussed
Advertisement
Guy's Hospital Chapel
 (голосов: 1)
The benefaction by which Thomas Guy founded the well-known hospital was one of the largest in London since the Reformation. His monument states that he 'rivalled the endowments of Kings'; for once, an 18th-century eulogy is no exaggeration. He founded his hospital in 1721.

Guy's Hospital Chapel

The chapel's exterior in the west wing appears domestic rather than ecclesiastical.


The chapel is the central part of the west wing of the front quadrangle. This wing was added to the designs of Richard Jupp in 1774-7. The interior is almost square and has north and south galleries supported on thin wooden columns with Ionic capitals painted blue. The mural memorial panels of mosaic and opus sectile under the galleries were made by James Powell, 1904. Their dark Edwardian detail stands out in the otherwise light Georgian interior. The sanctuary has a simple marble surround to the arch, by Louis Osman, 1956, in place of a reredos. The stained glass in the windows above commemorates William Hunt (died 1829), the hospital's greatest benefactor after Guy. Against the opposite wall, there stands John Bacon's renowned statue of Guy, made in 1779. It shows the founder helping a suffering man into his hospital, framed by an arch with a green marble surround and enclosed by a semicircular railing. The inscription is paraphrased by the motto on the arms above: 'to give is better than to receive'.

Guy's Hospital Chapel

John Bacon's distinguished monument to the founder shows Guy helping a patient into his hospital.



Информация
Посетители, находящиеся в группе Гости, не могут оставлять комментарии к данной публикации.